I bought the 40 lb Scenera and tried to install it

glockchick

I am so not impressed.

First of all, there is no way to route the latch straps for rear facing where is doesn't interfere with the harness.

Secondly, I can't install it at the correct angle with the seat belt without a towel or noodle.

Thirdly, I had my friend's daughter in it today and tightened it. It felt tight, passed the pinch test and all that. We went to Target and when I put her in the second time, I was able to pull a ton of slack and tighten some more. I hadn't adjusted it. I had checked the back of the seat and everything the first time. I think the extra slack was under the butt area and the belt is compressed on either side with the recline foot down so I didn't feel the slack.

Needless to say, it's going back. :mad:

I just HATE these seats. There is no way I can be sure I could use it correctly every time due to that dang continuous harness and the way it's routed under the foot when rear facing. I'm sure it's not as much of an issue with a lighter child, but when you put 33 lbs of pressure on it, it makes the belt feel snug when it's not. :( Even knowing everything I do, and being diligent about checking, I still screwed it up.

And in the process of trying to install the thing, I manged to catch the button that shows where my latch anchors are on the back of the seat and break it off. Now there's a hole in my upholstery. :(

So I put DS's MA back in and it installed at 31.5 degrees with no issues. That won't last long because he's close to 35 lbs, but it'll work for now. It's a PITA getting him through the door and in a seat that high up but I don't have much other choice for now.

Last edited:
ADS

laur318

Bummer , those inexpensive seats seemed like such an accessible quick fix for those of us between carseats.
How annoying this must have been!!

glockchick

you didn't have the same issues with your other Scenera?

Yes I did, but I knew to watch for them. And I did with this one too and I still missed it. And that scares me. I don't know that I've never missed it with the old one as well. I won't be using either rfing again. The fact that my friend's daughter could have been hurt because I screwed up like that is not ok with me.

I've got pics somewhere of the issue. Let me go dig them up.

ETA:
Not the best pics, but I hope you can see what I mean.

This pic shows the belt path under the seat area.
IMG_0097.jpg

This one shows what happens when you put it in rear facing mode. The foot sits right on it. And then you put a 33 lb kid on top of that and it holds it tight in whatever position it's in. It also makes it difficult to even out the straps if they get lopsided.
IMG_0102.jpg

babygirlsmom1005

When I first got our Scenera, I used lots of inappropiate words when installing it. It is easier now, but it's definatinly not one of my favorite seats to install and I always have to have a pool noodle or 3 for RF'ing

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I believe "despise" is the word I have for that seat, after it tried to dump my kid out :p Picture...

If the LATCh install had been any good, I wouldn't have used the seatbelt, this wouldn't have happened....this is why I've turned my affections to the Tribute, I just wish it had higher weight limits :eek:

gigi

I really hated my scenera too.

I'm so surprised it is so frequently recommended here bc I think it was very hard to use properly (and I'm pretty carseat literate...I'd hate to see the misuse going on with it in less knowledgeable hands).

emars002

I believe "despise" is the word I have for that seat, after it tried to dump my kid out :p Picture...

If the LATCh install had been any good, I wouldn't have used the seatbelt, this wouldn't have happened....this is why I've turned my affections to the Tribute, I just wish it had higher weight limits :eek:

Oh crap! I don't think i would get along with that seat either:p

glockchick

Holy crap!

Would it be irresponsible of me to put my 35 lb Scenera on CL? It's never been in an accident or anything, but I wouldn't use it for my kid so....

I just weighed Kaleigh and she's right at 40 lbs so it's a moot point anyway. The only rfing seat she'll fit in is a RN 80 or XT now.

melniemi

I would sell it, why not? But I wouldn't stress so much about rearfacing a 4.5yo. Will the lil one fit in a My Ride? Or is that too big for your car?

glockchick

Not sure if it will fit in the car. It would be a pain to get him in it ghat high up.

I figured I could get one RN80 for Kaleigh to use now since she'll only need it until June. She wants to or I wouldn't bother. :) Then CJ can have it when he gains 2 lbs.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I get it now. I thought you were saying the problems were exclusive to the 40 lb Scenera, that's why I was confused. I used to have one for daycare kids/as a spare. I really hated using it RF. FF wasn't as bad.

Keeanh

Which "small", cheap-ish seats have a better RF install? Tribute? Avenue? I had no trouble with the RF Scenera on the bench seat of my van, but on the contoured seats of my mom's Mazda 3, uh, I kinda had a fight with it, LOL. I can deal with it as a spare, but I'd like something else to recommend to friends.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
We have the Titan as a coalition seat and I find it generally user-friendly. The Avenue usually needs noodles.

I find the scenera super easy to install as long as I have a pool noodle and latch, other wise, forget it.. seat belt installs are pretty impossible

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC