6 1/2 year old in no back booster?

lpperry

My stepdaughter (7 in August) rides in a high back booster in our cars and her mom's car. She has been carpooling with a friend weekly for gymnastics on her mom's nights. When mom set up the carpool, my husband made sure to check that she would be riding in a booster--she was.

It has been a few months, and I always ask Madeline from time to time what she rides in. Madeline says it is not a booster seat. She said it's a car seat but they put the seatbelt over her. Now, I have no idea what this means--it could be a combination seat that is converted correctly to a booster, but Madeline just thinks it is a car seat because it looks bigger than her Turbobooster. It could be a ff seat that she is sitting in with the seatbelt over her. It could be a combination seat that is correctly converted, but doesn't fit Madeline well.

I am going to find out what it is and get Madeline a seat for carpooling with this family if the seat is not correct.

What age would you allow a backless booster to be used? Should we spend the extra money to get a highback turbobooster or would a no back booster be safe at this age?

ADS

mamabear

if she fits properly in a no back booster (lap belt low and, more importantly, shoulder belt across her chest and not gaping away or slipping) I'd rather see her in that than a "car seat" possibly improperly used as a booster.:twocents:

More importantly, you need to find out that she is in something safe ASAP. if you doubt that this mom can use a high back properly either, I'd do a no back (assuming she meets the minimums) because there is less room for error. A high back is only good for the extra protection if it is going to be transported and used properly. I'd stress that to this mom. This is just my personal opinion, because sadly I was in the same situation, and although I provided a high back (turbo) I found out later the mom wasn't routing the shoulder belt through the belt guide OR adjust the wings up to the right height, and it would slip off DD's shoulder, so in her case a backless probably would have been better:(

How big is your SDD? height and weight?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Ideally, I'd prefer to see a 6yo in a well-used highbacked booster.

But I'd MUCH rather see that same 6yo in a properly-fitting and properly-used backless like a Turbo or Literider than in an improperly used "car seat", or even in most combination seats used as boosters (Nautilus, Frontier, ProSport, Maestro are exceptions).

lpperry

I started to get worried because I know that most combo seats don't make good boosters.

She is 42 pounds but I am not sure about her height.

I'll take the back off ours and see how she fits even though I know it will be different in a different car.

I have never met this mom, so I don't know how she buckles her children. Madeline said that the friend (also in kindergarten is in a booster), but her and her younger sister take turns because her sister likes to sit in the booster. I asked Madeline how old the sister is and she said "two or three." So, I don't know how reliable Madeline is here--I really doubt a two year old is sharing the booster, but maybe the sister is 4. Anyway, I'm not comfortable believing Madeline is properly restrained with the information I have.

mlohry

My 6.5 year old son, fits fabulously in the Amp no back booster. His 8 yr old brother has one. I have posted pics on here and everyone agreed. He is riding in GN harnessed until winter is over and outgrows it, but I will be getting him an Amp for his next step up. It also helps that we have side curtain air bags in our van, if we did not, I would probably keep him in a HB booster.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
I bought an evenflo big kid HBB for 29 dollars at sears a week ago...I will tell you my nephew also 6 1/2 43LBs fits horribly in his no back turbo booster...but he fit really well in the one I have in my car for the girl I pick up in the afternoon.

CYBEX USA-2

Personally, my rule is to not use a backless booster unless the child is older (9-10) and there are side curtain air bags in the vehicle. However, a backless booster that provides proper vehicle belt fit is better than no booster and improper belt fit any day!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure AJ is going to make it to 9 or 10 before outgrowing his hbb! He's already about 19" now for torso.

lpperry

I didn't like the fit of her in the backless booster in our Mazda 3. I don't like the thought of a backless booster at all, but I thought I'd check here to make sure.

I'm going to just get a hbb for the carpool.

lpperry

I want to send an email to the mom that drives Madeline to gymnastics. This is what I was thinking about writing:

I was wondering what model of booster seat Madeline uses when you take her to gymnastics on Tuesdays. Many booster seats do not allow the seat belt to fit Madeline properly and, if this is the case, I want to get Madeline a booster that you can keep for when she rides with you.

I have never met her, so I want to sound nice and not accusing. Is this wording good?

Mom2FiveGirls

That sounds good. Personally, I wouldn't put my 6 year old in a NBB. I'd MUCH rather see a 6 year old in a properly fitting NBB than using a car seat with a seat belt over it, etc.

Kat_Momof3

ditto to cybex and to Sarah... I'd take a properly fitting backless over no seat or a bad seat anyday... but I'd prefer a highback used.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC