Side impact airbag curtains dont help kids in carseats, right? (curious as I dont know what carseat to buy)

organic_mama

Just curious, as I thought that they were for adults. i dont think a kids head, that is in a carseat, would get close enough to the sides of the car for the side airbags for them to help. Reason I ask is, I currently have a marathon for my 2.5 yo daughter and want to get another carseat pretty soon as my 3 mo is very long (we are a tall family) and hates her infant carseat (just like her older sister did). I dont know if I should get the Boulevard (has side impact protection/SIP)for baby as she'd have to sit on the outboard position rf and my older sits in the ma in the middle. OR I was thinking of giving my MA to my baby and then gettning a Regent for my 2.5 yo daughter and putting them both outboard - as I am getting a van very soon, and am getting one with side impact airbags. (neither MA or Regent have side impact protection.)
I hope I am making sence. If anyone can offer advice, I'd REALLY appreciate it. THANKS!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, side impact airbags DO help kids in seats.. at least there's no evidence to say they don't... :rolleyes: . I personally feel comfortable enough with a non-SIP seat in my car with side airbags...and my car without them... a 5 pt harness is remarkably protective in side impacts even without having the extra SIP structure. So, long story short, ANY 5 pt harness is going to be VERY safe in any car, with or without side curtain airbags. If the SIP structure of the BV makes you feel even better, then go for it. I think 2.5 is a bit young to go in the Regent, personally, unless it's a very large 2.5 yo....just because it will expire in 6 years, long before either kid gets too big for it...there are just lots of other options for an average weight 2.5 yo, and the Regent is a better choice for bigger kids, IMO.

twokidstwodogs

Just so you know, there are two different types of side airbags, though sometimes they're combined into one. There are side curtain airbags, which deploy from the top of the car frame and provide head protection, and there are side torso airbags, which deploy from the seat or door of the car. I'm assuming you're talking about side curtain airbags.

Side curtain airbags are an enormous benefit for adults and older children sitting next to windows. When we bought our last two cars, I considered side curtain airbags for all rows of passengers to be one of our requirements. It's unclear whether and how they would help children in harnessed seats, though they are perfectly safe. I like having them even with harnessed kids because I figure they probably cut down on injuries from intrusion into the vehicle and flying glass. I would consider them much more important than "true" SIP in Britax speak.

A minivan with great side impact scores, side curtain airbags for all rows of passengers, and kids in properly installed, appropriate seats is extremely safe. In that situation, I'd probably consider the Boulevard overkill unless you otherwise like the seat. It might offer some additional side impact protection, but you're already talking about a super-safe situation for your kids. I'd get the Regent and give the MA to the baby (unless it's going to expire soon and you need to buy a new seat anyway).

Edited to add: My post overlapped with Joolsplus. I defer to the all-knowing Julie about the Regent!

arly1983

Where is your little one in the MA? the regent is huge in comparison....

This is my son Jackson(1-10-05) in January at 37 in, almost 15 in torso, and 34 lbs. THese pics were taken at the same time.

As you can see there is quite a difference. Heightwise he is fine in the regent but just barely fits the smallest crotch setting...

Marathon
Picture130-2.jpg

Regent
Picture132.jpg

Can't blame your daughter for not liking her infant seat. I am just not so sure you will like the Regent for your oldest. I still have my son in the Marathon with .5 in to because he just looks so tiny in the Regent (even though I have two regents in my closet) If I were going to go a size up I might would get one of the new recaros as it is supposed to have top slots that are two ins taller than the Marathon..

vonfirmath

At our Car Safe Kids class last night, the instructor did mention that side curtain airbags mean you should not allow an older child to lean against the door the way we all did growing up -- because the airbag will explode down on to their head.

CarSeatPoncho

As it so happens, I was watching some crash test video today (only on this board can I mention that without people thinking it's weird! :D ), and they had videos with and (same model) without side impact bags.

It seems like in the the vehicle WITH SIDE AIR BAGS, the shattered glass entered the cabin at about shoulder level (for an adult), was directed downward, and then dispersed into the rest of the cabin. In the vehicle WITHOUT side air bags, the glass entered the cabin upon impact, at eye/head level (again, for an adult). This is just my eyeball observation, not research figures.

Here's the link:

http://www.progressive.com/rc/VehicleOwnership/CrashTestVideos.asp

Please do not freak yourselves out by watching LOTS of crash test videos, ok?

Casby

organic-mama - Thank you.... I have an 05 odyssey with side and head protection/curtain airbags and have been debating (endlessly) carseats for my 9M and 3 yr old. Marathon vs Boulevard vs waitng for new Recaro Signo etc.

Because of my airbags I thought the BV *might* not be nescessary BUT one of my questions was whether the SIP was intended to protect against physical intrusion into the vehicle and/or to reduce the amount of side to side head "whiplash". Does that make sense?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC