Honda Pilot vs. Toyota 4Runner

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We sat in a 2004 4Runner the other day and I was a little disappointed in the creature comforts. The front seats sat low in relation to the floor--it was like sitting in a sports car. I know I've been spoiled by sitting in actual chairs in my Sienna! Even our RAV4 has more leg dangling space than the new 4Runner.

Also, the optional 3rd row seats sit right against the back tailgate. What kind of a safety issue is this? Dh compared it to a side impact--with the door being so close to the seats. Would that be accurate?

Is the Pilot similar to the 4Runner in this regard? Is the 3rd row in the Pilot optional or included? We don't need the 3rd row. Does the tailgate window on the pilot open?

Thanks!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Obviously, the more room from passenger to metal, the better. Side impacts are more common and severe than rear impacts, though in rear impacts adults may also be concerned with seat back failure.

I'm pretty sure Pilot is standard with 3 rows, but Ulrike might know for sure:)

Keep in mind the 4Runner is designed on a truck platform, while the Pilot is on a unibody car platform. Fortunately, the 2004 4runner is supposed to be improved in terms of handling and rollover than the previous version. If you don't need a 3rd row, what about the Highlander instead?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For some reason, I just don't like the looks of the Highlander. Don't ask me why, lol. I do like the fact that the Pilot was designed on a car platform, though the V8 on the 4Runner is nice.

At this point, we're still just trying to get an idea of what's available. Dh thinks he's going to be told by the powers that be at work that he will need to buy a new vehicle (like our '96 RAV4 is a piece of junk, gimme a break! :eek: ) and he wants to get one that will be comfortable for all of us (including the dog) to go skiing.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
A couple other car-based choices- the Nissan Murano and Chrysler Pacifica both did well in crash testing, and both should have relatively low rollover risk also.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The 3rd row on the Pilot is standard and SMALL. I'm 5'6", and my knees touch the 2nd row when I sit in the far back. The rear window does not open, only the 4 in the doors open.

If you have any other questions about the Pilot, please feel free to ask!

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks, Ulrike. How about the leg room in the front seat--is it more like sitting on a chair (like a minivan captain's chair) or is it more sports car-like where there's really no elevation to the seat off the floor?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The front is very chair-like. In fact, the first time I drove our Saturn after being in the Pilot, I felt like I was in a sports car. LOL

The leg-room is great. I don't push my chair all the way back to give the kids more room in the 2nd row, and I've still got plenty of space.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC