Ford Focus allowing both LATCH and seat belt?

brooklynsmommy

I asked Judi and she said that there is a thread here somewhere. I can't find it though.

While looking through my cousin's 2011 Ford Focus manual, I noticed that it says that you can use both latch and a seat belt. At first I thought that perhaps they were just talking about the top tether. Nope. They specify top tether when talking about it alone. Why are they allowing this?

ADS

Pixels

All of the newer Fords are doing this.

Right now, we can't do both because it's not allowed by either vehicle or carseat manufacturer. If that's going to change, someone has to take the lead. Ford is now allowing it, but you still can't do it because in general it's not allowed by the manufacturer.

Combi allows doing both. Install first (tightly) with LATCH. Then route the seatbelt through the belt path and lock the belt, but do not tighten. The purpose is to prevent strangulation hazard with the belt.

mrscompumike

We had a 2000 Chevy Venture van and got a latch seat for it but my husband did not like the vehicle belt just hanging so he buckled it than put the car seat in front of it. We used the latch system to install Tom's car seat. That way the vehicle seat belt was secure and not hanging loose. We did not tighten the vehicle belt.

Pixels

We had a 2000 Chevy Venture van and got a latch seat for it but my husband did not like the vehicle belt just hanging so he buckled it than put the car seat in front of it. We used the latch system to install Tom's car seat. That way the vehicle seat belt was secure and not hanging loose. We did not tighten the vehicle belt.

This is a pretty common way to deal with the problem. :) The other way to do it is to install first and then buckle in a way that doesn't mess with the seat. I route the belt over a RFing seat, so it ends up where the child's feet go, or tunnel it underneath the seat. I can't buckle before installing in my car because the buckle gets in the way.

MommaWhitney

I have an 09 seinna van and the car seat that is hooked in with latch I just locked the retractor and buckled the seat belt, then installed the seat. So now the seat belt cant be a strangulation hazord. We were told in our cpst class that you should suggest parents to do this with unused seat belts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC