Question about Sunshine Kids aftermarket products

jlepitzki

Sorry if this is a really obvious question, but I thought all 'add-in' products were not to be used with car seats...and SK has a whole lot of them.

I needed to make my Radian useable for my 9 month old but misplaced the extra cushions that came with the seat. They told me to purchase this, which does look the same as what had come with my seat originally, but next to all the other items they have on the website I'm wondering if I should?

Thanks!

ADS

love-pink

:thumbsup: Thats the same thing that comes with the radian, just a different color. That specifically is tested with their seats, the other stuff they sell isnt tested. :twocents:

Keeanh

Thanks Ben! It's good to know that that stuff has been tested. There are a few items there that might fall under "parental discretion".

But really, SKJP??? Do you have to keep selling the Mighty-tite? It's one thing to put a soft mirror on a headrest, or design a glorified pool noodle. But messing with the vehicle's seatbelt is just... NO, NO, NO. :thumbsdown:

urchin_grey

I just got a Dry Seat for our Radian because I'm trying to be done with diapers (my 5yo is special needs and still not 100% potty learned). My sister got one for her 14mo too, mainly to keep Whales out of the cracks in the seat. :eek:

I'm perfectly okay with using them, with the Radian, of course. I wouldn't use them with any other seat.

Pixels

Much of that testing is the same as the testing that the makers of the BundleMe do - they grab a seat or two, test it with a dummy, and it still passes. Doesn't mean that it's safe in every configuration. I am certain they don't test with every seat available, with all the crash test dummies, with all the installation options (baseless or with base for buckets, FF/RF convertibles, LATCH vs seatbelt install, etc).

There is also no oversight with this type of stuff. With carseats, the government tests seats and they must pass before being sold in Canada. In the US, the manufacturer self-certifies, but NHTSA does random checks to make sure that nobody is cheating. Aftermarket stuff isn't tested by anybody but the original manufacturer, who has a financial incentive to say that it's safe.

sparkyd

With carseats, the government tests seats and they must pass before being sold in Canada. In the US, the manufacturer self-certifies, but NHTSA does random checks to make sure that nobody is cheating.

Actually, the manufacturer's "self-certify" in Canada too. I believe the way it works is they do all their testing themselves and send the test results to Transport Canada. TC does their own testing as well, but not necessarily before a new seat goes to market. I'm not sure how they pick which seats to test each year. I know there are others that have more details on how this works. I do know that the testing is very expensive and I'm sure that is a big factor in why it works this way.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
They can throw is against a wall and say it is crash tested. Plus really, if they use a dummy, it is basically a doll. No instrumentation.

Pixels

Actually, the manufacturer's "self-certify" in Canada too. I believe the way it works is they do all their testing themselves and send the test results to Transport Canada. TC does their own testing as well, but not necessarily before a new seat goes to market. I'm not sure how they pick which seats to test each year. I know there are others that have more details on how this works. I do know that the testing is very expensive and I'm sure that is a big factor in why it works this way.

Okay, good to know.

featherhead

For a 9 month old you don't really need to have the pillows, but you can use them if you want to. I got my first Radian65 for my daughter when she was 7 months old. We didn't have the pillows, and it worked just fine for her:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC