2DDs on plane

erin327

Help please - 2 daughters on plane

I know these are popular questions and have searched and read old threads, but I could really use some advice.

Here is our situation...
DD1 - will turn 4 on the 10 day long trip, 40.5", 36 pounds
DD2 - will be 10 months old, at 8.5 months is 29.5 inches long, 15.5 pounds
2.5 hour flight on Southwest
will be at Disney World and using all bus transportation while there so no seats required at destination

In the car now, DD1 sits in a Radian XTSL rear facing. DD2 sits in a True Fit without the extra headrest part. I know we won't be able to install the Radian RF for the 4 year old. My plan was to do the Radian ff on plane for her. I was thinking I would take the True Fit and rear face it for DD2 on the plane.

Should I? Should I take a seat for DD1 on the plane or let her use the plane belt? Am I going to get grief about installing a 10 month old rf in the True Fit? These are the seats they are used to and use, but we also have a Roundabout and a Snugride. Should I put DD2 in Snugride for flight? Should I use True Fit or Roundabout for DD1 instead of the Radian?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

I have let my kids ride in just an airplane seat at 4 years of age and they did well on the plane. Since you don't need a carseat at your destination, I would recommend leaving it at home and letting her just sit in the airplane seat using the seatbelt.

For your younger child though, she will probably need some seat on the plane. The snugride, roundabout, and the truefit (especially without the top headrest) should fit rearfacing on the airplane. Take whatever you are most comfortable with installing. I would think the snugride would be easiest since it has a handle, though you might like the other seats better.

If any of the flight attendants give you issues about installing DD#2's seat rearfacing, just show them the FAA documentation that states she can since she fits the limits of the seat. With her being under a year, I can't see anyone giving you an issue with this though.
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC 120-87B.pdf

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC