I hate "to the limits"

pj2rc

Just venting. It's so vague and different. Different seats have different limits, different kids hit limits at different times. I want a number. I wish there was more definitive research for stats after 2, like the one that says rearfacing to 2 yr old is 500% safer than to 1

ADS

Jennifer mom to my 7

But that is the thing, you rear face to the limits of the convertible seat that you can afford, that fits your car, your child, and you can use and install correctly every time. I would like that weight limit to be at least 35 pounds, and would prefer it be something "bigger" height wise than a scenera, and if the child was not yet 2, I might see if the parent could get something a bit bigger.... BUT, if the parent can understand those limits, I am happy. Did I go out and by a radian xtsl to continue to rear face my 32 pound 37 inch almost 3 year old? Yes. But, I was able to fit it into my budget, and knew I could install it rf in my vehicle. Not everyone can.

If I can convince the parent, when outgrowing the bucket, to get a seat like a myride or an evenflo triumph 65? And know that I tried to show them enough info that they "get" it, and will rear face with the seat installed properly, preferably with them going to a tech (from here), I have done as much as I can as an advocate. Heck, if they will by the 40 pound scenera, and rf to the limits, then get a maestro....

Okay, that was a book. Sorry:eek:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I don't know...I agree to some extent since a person might think the kid has maxed out the seat once the feet touch the back seat. Having a number to aim for is helpful. But so many different seats have different limits...a kid in a ComfortSport will likely outgrow it well before 2 & 30, whereas a kid in a Radian could probably make it to 4+. Many parents can't afford to get a new seat after they have been fooled into the CS or 3-in-1 and the best they can do is RF to the limit of their seat.

ETA: cross posted with Jennifer :)

pj2rc

Sorry, I meant for me. I hate trying to decide whether at the limit of her seat now is when I should change her. I know I can't protect them from everything, but I want I know I did what was best within reason. Is it within reason to buy new seats and keep going rf'g or are the risks (%) so small now, that it's at the point to let God's will take over. I know it's something only I can decide. Bur when I see "rf'g to 2 is 500% safer than to 1, statistically" I know I am within reason to rf to at least 2. I want stats for rf to 3 and to 4, 5. I know longer is better, but that means we are safer rf'g too, but that's not within reason :)

Jennifer mom to my 7

Sorry, I meant for me. I hate trying to decide whether at the limit of her seat now is when I should change her. I know I can't protect them from everything, but I want I know I did what was best within reason. Is it within reason to buy new seats and keep going rf'g or are the risks (%) so small now, that it's at the point to let God's will take over. I know it's something only I can decide. Bur when I see "rf'g to 2 is 500% safer than to 1, statistically" I know I am within reason to rf to at least 2. I want stats for rf to 3 and to 4, 5. I know longer is better, but that means we are safer rf'g too, but that's not within reason :)

Well, this is why I got the new seat. I wanted to keep my child as safe as "I" could in my vehicle. And I will stop there:) I flipped my 5 year old at 32+ pounds, 36.5 inches, because she reached the limits of her seat... I am okay with that. It was not worth it at that point to buy her a 35 pound seat, as the cheap ones available she was too tall for, and the more expensive ones would have only lasted 2 more pounds for rear facing (which she did gain quickly). There were no 40 pound seats then.

glockchick

Exactly. This is why I'm struggling with whether or not to buy a 40 lb seat to continue to RF CJ in. When I got his MA, the only seat that rf'd higher than 35 lbs was the RN and it was incompatible with my truck.

He's now hit 35 lbs (back down a couple from being sick) at right at 3 years old. I won't buy a new seat for my suburban, but I'm wondering if a Radian or Scenera for my tiny little Civic is a better idea than the FR85 I have for him.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I don't think I could have justified a 40 pound seat for him, but I did feel I could justify getting the 45 pound. That was over 12 pounds I got, rather than just 2-3, kwim? Plus, the younger boy has a taller torso ratio, so I knew he would need it, too.

cookie123

Well, one good thing is that, at least if 'they' go to 2, the seat they 'they' have probably won't be outgrown rearfacing, assuming a convertible seat is being used.

I'm also having a bit of a dilemma. I could get a CA or a newer Radian to continue to rf Matthew. He's 30 - 31 lbs and the Radian I have goes to 33 lbs. Also, my Avenue goes to 35 lbs. I can't use the Radian ff in my car, so I hate to get a new one. Also I don't think he's even been in my car this year. We generally stay home when I have him because I'm too wimpy to go out in the cold. I'm probably going to use my radian as far as that gets me, then switch to the Avenue for the last 2 lbs. Hopefully that will get me through the summer or even until he's 4.

Also he's been ff with his mom for a couple of months now.

pj2rc

My kids spend equal time in 3 vehicles, so I feel like if I think she's ok to FF in one or 2 buy not mine.... Why not? And do I want to buy 3 more seats for 5 lbs again? I just did it last summer to get her from 30 to 35 lbs.... course she may hold out on the 2#'s. I can only hope. Argh, I hate this

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Oh yes, I remember those days. When R was 3, she was 32 lbs and had been FF for some time (due to the low RF height of the original Triumph), I bought her a Safety 1st Intera that RF to 35 lbs and was nice and tall. She got about 6 months out of it, and then I had it to hand down to E when he outgrew his 33 lb Wizard (or BV? I can't remember what he was in then!) I was happy because that extra few pounds got both of them to almost 4 RF. Z is big anyway. He outgrew the 33 lb Wizard at about 1 1/2 (?) so I knew then that my only real option for him for ERF was a Radian. It's so hard, when they get to be 3-4 yrs to know if it's worth it to get a new seat for a few more pounds. I feel your pain!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC