Trying to help out an acquaintance..

jaded

She has 5 kids under the age of 6. Except for the infant(who is in an infant seat I bought for her at Target on clearance) none of the kids are in proper restraints. 2 are riding in Turbo boosters(in a van with only lapbelts) and another is in what was a Cosco overhead shield seat, but the shield broke off years ago, and she's just been using the harness. One is riding in just a seatbelt.

I gave her the number for the local once a month installation station, but they are full for this month, and they don't do individual checks anymore. :thumbsdown: Anyway, I am trying to find out if Big Lots, or some other place is having a great sale on carseats. The oldest boys need a seat that goes over 40lbs(she does have captain's chairs the boys could ride in with the seats) and the girls could use either convertibles, or combination seats. The baby still has 5lbs before he outgrows the infant seat.

Can anyone help me? I could maybe buy one or two seats for her myself at full price(and have her pay me back a little at a time) but not 4(or possibly 5) new seats. So, I'm just looking for any heads up anyone might have.

Last edited:
ADS

jaded

Oh, and the boys are 6 and almost 4, the girls are 2 and 3. Baby is 7 months.

6yo is definitely over 40lbs, probably about 50lbs Almost 4yo boy is about 40lbs. 3yo girl is probably about 25lbs(tall and skinny) 2 year old girl is 25lbs too, but shorter than her sister. Baby is 15lbs(the infant seat I bought her goes to 22lbs)

LeeLi

Well, for less than 100$ you could get all the kids into okay, if not great carseats that would certainly be an improvement over the current situation. If you get 2 Scenaras, then the 2 and 3 year olds could be properly restrained in those and even be rear-facing. The baby could also get a Scenara when the infant seat is out grown. Then the 4 and 6 year olds could have the turbo boosters. Of course this leaves the problem of the 4 and 6 year olds not having a shoulder belt, which is a serious issue safety wise. To remedy the shoulder belt issue you'd have to get 2 higher weight harness seats, the Apex is the cheapest at about 130$ so it would cost more money to get the older two in a safe situation. The 4 year old is at the bare minimum for being in a booster, so I would try to find a seat for him first. Basically, it will cost 360$ to get all the kids safe.

There are some public agencies that help people out with carseats sometimes, but I'm not clear on the details, perhaps someone else will chime in about that.

jaded

That's why I sent her to the local SafeKids, but like I said, since they started doing the monthly installations, they won't do individual checks anymore. I was hoping after she explained her seat situation to them, they'd try to get her in anyway, but no.

musicmaj

My recommendations are based on trying to get the least expensive safe seat for the children since they need so many seats. Right now I would get two sceneras for the baby (if she is close to outgrowing the infanct seat)and 2 year old. If the 3 year old is short enough to rearface for awhile longer, I would also buy her a scenera. She is awfully light for her age. If she is actually close to outgrowing a scenera because she is tall, then I would get her a graco cargo. The cargo is pretty narrow. The choice for the best seat for that child also depends on how the seats puzzle together in the van.

The two older children will be a little more difficult to figure out without knowng about shoulder belts and who is sitting where in the van. Do the two bucket seats have headrests and lap shoulder belts? If so then maybe an apex for the 4 year old and a turbo for the six year old.

Last edited:

jaded

The van is an '80 something. Low back bench seat in the rear, and the two captain's chairs. Given the age, it's doubtful that tether anchors could be installed.

Between all the kids, and the fact that her husband has a tendency to quit jobs whenever he feels like it, they really don't have much money.

I thought about the Scenera for the girls, but based on the fact that the 2 year old's shoulders are almost at the top slots on the crappy Touriva she has, I don't think that's the best option. I was thinking more along the lines of the Cargo or Chase.

musicmaj

The uptown's slots are taller and they would have more time rearfacing. I do think that cargos make an easy to use nice harnessed forward facing seat. I really liked mine. They are only 15 inches wide on the bottom and 17 across the top so they can fit three across pretty well.

jaded

Oh, and I'm not really looking for recommendations, I do know what seats are out there that would work for the kids. I was, years ago, a CPST. I got sick of the politics and the "you're just a mom, what the heck do you know" attitude I got from other local techs, and stopped volunteering and never re-certified. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen any seats with great sales or clearances anywhere.

lovinwaves

The Uptown at our local Walmart is now priced at $89 instead of $99, and you can sometimes catch the Scenera on sale at Walmart and K-Mart.

jaded

No one else has any ideas for me? I saw another thread mentioned Compass infant seats at Big Lots, any idea if there are any convertible or combination seats there right now? I don't have a local Big Lots anymore, but I do have one an hour north of me, and I've been meaning to head up that way anyway for a few other things.

And I saw another mention of Baby Depot having some seats on clearance.

cpsaddict

What about applying to the Kyle Miller foundation? They have some higher weight harnessed seats, like the Regent and the Radian. I think the address is www.kyledavidmiller.org or something. I would think that getting the 2 yr old out of the broken Touriva would be a major thing. It is just a 3pt harness now, I am assuming. The Scenera for the 2 and 3 yr olds would be your cheapest way to get at least two more safe. The Kyle Miller foundation is the only thing I can think of for the older two. :eek:

Ok, just saw a previous post that the three yr old is at the top slots. So, maybe a Chase? Let me hunt for some deals and I will post back.

cpsaddict

Here is a good deal on the Chase at Amazon: http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...255983.2256187.2256193&pg=2&parentPage=family

With the coupons, it would be $40 and then a $40 Scenera, you are at $80, then maybe a Scenera for the baby?? and apply to the foundation for the older two? Or maybe she could spring for the cheaper seats and you could get the Apexes? Would the Oldest still fit in an Apex? With captains chairs, they would work and Albeebaby still has some for $99 with free shipping. Maybe you could get the second oldest an Apex and then just apply for one Regent? Or possibly put the older child in the front seat with the lap/shoulder and a booster?

Sorry for rambling..I am running different scenerios through my head....

Still thinking.....

jaded

No, that's great! And exactly the kind of information I was looking to get. You know, with that price, 2 Chases would be the same cost as the Scenera's, and last longer(and be easier for the mom to use, not as many worries about the girls escaping the seats)Thank you! I'll have to apply for the seats tomorrow.

One question, if the Apex wouldn't work for the oldest, does the Radian(which is another seat I was considering) require a tether anchor be used after a certain weight? With the age of the van they have, I can't see tether anchors being able to be installed. Same with the Regent..haven't looked to closely at that seat myself(and it isn't sold locally anywhere), since my youngest still fits fine in his Marathon.

I did consider the front seat for the oldest, and just use one of the Turbo-boosters she already has, but then, if dad is in the vehicle with them, then the child would be moved to the back.

And about Big Lots, I mentioned them because a few years ago, I got an Evenflo Comet from there for $25(it's now in my MIL's vehicle) I was kind of hopeful they were doing something like that again.

cpsaddict

Well, neither the Apex or the Radian require tethers. I think most vehicles after 87 or 86 have predrilled holes. I am sure someone here has a manual that lists them. I would go with two Chases if the 2 yr old wasn't so light. She could really benefit from rearfacing, but then again, a properly used forward facing seat is safer than an improperly used rearfacing seat. hmm, I am torn. The CPS tech in me says rf, but the based in reality Jacky says Chase...
I'll keep looking and thinking..............

Oh, I read on another board that the Kyle Miller people are currently waiting to get more seats, so we may need to come up with an alternative plan, although these kids are REALLY unsafe right now. Duh, like you don't know that....;)

jaded

I'm almost positive the van they have was made prior to that. I know it's a Ford conversion van.

Grr.. I wish the Laptop was still being sold in the US. That would've been a great, inexpensive solution for the boys.

And I thought about trying to get the 2 and 3 year old's rearfacing again, and I just don't see it happening. The infant is fine where he is for now(and to think I bought the seat he is in on a whim, I figured for $12.48, I'd find someone who may need it..and I did), he's gaining weight, but on a steady pace, rather than on a fast pace. And, as far as I know, she did schedule an appt for next month, so the techs then can decide if they want to up him to a convertible then or not.

I may just call Safe Kids myself, and ask what options they can think of for the older two boys, and/or if they any Apex's available to purchase. I'm a bit peeved at them however, I think they should've tried to squeeze her in for this months check, since she did tell them her seat situation.

cpsaddict

I was thinking getting the toddlers rf again might be hard, so I guess FF seats used right are better than what they have. About Safekids, do you think she explained the situation the same way you or I would have? I mean, does she "get" the gravity of the situation? I am just curious, not trying to be mean or anything. I think it's wonderful that you are trying to hard to get them into seats. I had to do the same thing for some friends of mine. They had five kids that needed seats and all they had were one broken OHS and one expired booster. I did it, though! :thumbsup:

Oh, have you tried your local health department? Sometimes they have seats available. Or, you aren't by any chance in Oregon or Washington? Our local car seat coalitions usually have Sceneras and some type of harnessed booster available for CHEAP.

cpsaddict

Yeah, I meant the mother. Maybe when you call, Safekids will get the gravity of the situation. If she thinks they are only because they are required, she may not have conveyed how bad it really is. It's just so hard. I seriously lost sleep trying to get my friends kids safe.

Good luck and I will keep my eyes open for deals/

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How about contacting the state Injury Prevention Program? or even a WIC office? Definately contact KDMF but I believe the wait is a few months, I'm not positive just giving you a heads up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC