Question Side curtain airbags?

abbi_n_nadia

So I'm looking at used cars and it looks like most 2005 ish and prior cars did not have the side curtain airbags and the safety ratings are way worse for any car without them.

Are the side airbags beneficial to carseat riders or mainly adults? I did notice some of them have the side airbags in the front and not in the back. We will mainly have carseats in the back and probably rarely an adult rider back there.

ADS

SavsMom

So I'm looking at used cars and it looks like most 2005 ish and prior cars did not have the side curtain airbags and the safety ratings are way worse for any car without them.

Are the side airbags beneficial to carseat riders or mainly adults? I did notice some of them have the side airbags in the front and not in the back. We will mainly have carseats in the back and probably rarely an adult rider back there.

In most cars they only have side airbags in the front - come from the sides of the seat and protect your torso. The side curtain airbags cover the front and rear of the vehicle (in some SUV's and vans they only cover the 1st two rows) - these deploy from the roof and offer head protection.

I do recall reading somewhere that they do offer some protection for car seat riders.

abbi_n_nadia

Thanks for explaining the difference between the two! Thats very helpful! I didn't know there was a difference. :eek:

The 2 cars we are looking at are, a 2006 Ford Freestyle Ltd with a safety package so it has both the curtain airbags and the side airbags (plus lots of extras like DVD, leather seats...). It has 44,970 miles on it and it's listed at $15,985. But I have heard carseats are somewhat difficult to install and from what I've read this car tends to have lots of issues that could arise (most notably the transmission).

And a 2004 Honda Pilot EX, side airbags (no curtain ones). No cool features but it only has 63,043 miles and is $12,900. I've heard lots of good things about the pilot and that seems to be a really good price and low miles for an 04!

The pilot is a better price for us but the freestyle has more features and better safety ratings and the price isn't that much higher but the reliability issues worry me.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Side curtain airbags would generally provide some benefit for older kids in boosters, but perhaps minimal benefit for younger kids in a harness except perhaps in a very severe crash.

abbi_n_nadia

Thank you! We actually ended up going to look at the freestyle and fell in love with it! Sooo it's now sitting in our driveway. :whistle: We got a good warranty so I feel really good about it and :love: the car! I can't wait to get out there and play with it today!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC