Should I turn my daughter RF again?

sholoulou

My daughter is 4 yrs and 4 months old. I have her FF in a radian. At her age should I turn her back RFing? I was going to purchase a Graco Nautilus for my husband's truck but if I RF her again will get another radian instead. She is around 36 - 38lbs.. We haven't been to the doctor lately so I am not 100% sure of her height... she wears a size 3t/4t and is not big at all.

Here is my question. Do you think she is old enough to be over the hurdle of RF and be just as safe FF? We now have a Honda Odyssey and the radian RFes great but I turned her FF because I thought she was old enough. Now with the new recs I am second guessing myself and wonder if I should just RF her.

What age did you FF your child?
What age is your goal to RF?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Everyone is safer rear facing, if they fit. At her age, I would not worry about forward facing though. Just do it. My goal is 4. Right now I am RFing a 3 and 5 yr old.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
You deleted the text of your other post so I will post my reply here (and I'll report your other post for deletion and delete my answer).

---------------------------
My opinion is, if the seat fits RF in your vehicle, and she fits RF in the seat (height/weight), and she is comfortable RF in the seat, then why not? That being said, she's perfectly safe FF so if there is anything interfering with her comfort or the install RF, I wouldn't sweat having her FF.

As for your age question, my DD is 4y7m and is 1 pound and a half inch from outgrowing her RF seat (40#limit). I won't buy a seat to RF longer after this because the Radian doesn't work in the position I need it (and barely works in the centre in my vehicle IMO) and no other seats RF past 40#. My only option would be importing something, which although VERY tempting, I'm not likely to do since it's harder to get imported seats into Canada than elsewhere.

sholoulou

Not sure how two threads happened...

I think I will RF her tomorrow and see how that goes. I had her RFing and my mom and SIL thought I was crazy and told me I was really taking the safety thing to extreme... it made me second guess myself.

icnee

I think alot of kids actually like RFing better.
My5yo wanted to FF when she turned 5 but then anloy after a few rides sahe asked to go bak to RFing, she said she had no place for her leggs FFing and she was always stinking them in my back drove me nuts.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I might try RFing in your car; if she likes or doesn't mind it, then let her ride that way. Assuming she's not in the truck much, I would probably just go ahead and get her a FFing seat (you could even go with a Maestro, since she's so petite.)

My experiences with older kids are such that many of them are just as content RFing, and sometimes they prefer it. I turned a 4yo and 5yo a couple of months ago (just before their birthdays) and after a few months of happily sitting FF they're now both annoyed and want to go back to RF, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC