A few questions...

ConnorsMommy

I have a few questions for techs on here:
This week, I cared for a friend's 9 year old son. He's about 4' 11 and 120 lbs. He passes the 5-step test just fine in the middle captain's seat in my Odyssey. When he sits in the 3rd row though, the belt goes too close to his neck. I'm 5'1" and I have the same problem when I sit there. I may be taking care of him a few days a week this summer and he does ride in our van other times, so there may be occasions when he will need to sit in the 3rd row. My son already sits in the drivers side captain's seat and his Frontier is too hard to install in the 3rd row. When I have other adults in the car, the boy may need to sit in the 3rd row. Is there anything I can do to help the belt fit him right? I could get a backless booster (I posted about this previously) but he exceeds the weight limit. I have a seat belt adjuster that came with a HB Turbo that I used to have. Is it safe to use that with just the seat belt (no booster) to help position the belt right? I tried it on his belt today and it made a big difference in positioning the belt right. If it's safe, it could be something I could use (or other short friends) when we sit back there too. If it's not safe, is there anything else that would work, other than a LBB?

Also, the boy's mom and grandma allow him to sit in the front seat of their vehicles. The mom has a Dodge Nitro and the grandma has a Dodge minivan. Both vehicles are less than 5 years old. I know that it isn't safe for him to sit in the front ( he knows that I won't let him sit in front in my van and I've explained to him why), but am trying to figure out a good way to bring up the issue with his mom and grandma. Any suggestions? Also, any good links that explain why airbags are so dangerous for children, even if they are the size of a small adult? Any crash test videos or statistics? I was told by a CPST that the airbag on the passenger side in my van is 4 times stronger than the driver's side. He also said that the airbags in the boys grandma's van and the mom's SUV are stronger than mine. Any other facts about those airbags?

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC