Thank you Car-Seat.org! From Grandpa "jim"

luv2bfishin

Well, by now the news is out........rear facing until 2 !! I had found out a few days before the official announcement from CBS, and I was busting at the seams to post it on the website. The press release was "under embargo" until 12:01am Mon 21st, meaning it couldn't be announced until then. CBS came to my home for an interview. It aired on The Early Show, as one of the first public announcements of the new AAP guidelines. I was totally freaked out!! I was excited, happy, nervous, anxious, ...everything but calm! I posted the clip on Joels website.......and actually, I didn't do too bad ;)

I am grateful to have been a part of the rear facing movment, which I personally joined right on this website......2 1/2 yrs ago. That's when I "vented" my anger and frustration of my 18 mo old grandson breaking his neck while in a front facing car seat. Consequently, the beginning of JoelsJourney, and the fight to raise the 12 mo / 20 lb threshold.

:thumbsup:A HUGE "thank you" to Car-Seat.org for helping me in my journey. And another BIG "thank you" to the hundreds of supporters of ERF that contacted me via this blog. It wouldn't have happened without all of you! Special thanks to Laura from the Kyle David Miller Foundation for her guidance and inspiration for me to make the video.

There is a wealth of information posted on this blog. It has been a very important source of information for me, and will continue to be in the future.

Safe travels to you and your...........

Grandpa "Jim" :thumbsup:

ADS

Baylor

Thanks so much for sharing your story and grandson with us.

I hope he is doing better and better with each passing day.

jess71903

Ambassador
We owe YOU big time!! You were such a squeaky wheel, and you got your oil! Joel's Journey changed the way I talked to people about rear-facing. Instead of linking 100 different sites and trying to explain why it was so important, I can now say "visit www.joelsjourney.org. The FAQs/links page has all the info you need."

I caught The Early Show, too. You did a GREAT job! People needed to hear this coming from you. It was great!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Jim, you did great. :D I watched it on the early show. I felt like I knew both of you. I have seen those pics so many times!

BananaBoat

:2thumbsup: to you Grandpa Jim!

I found my way over hear just after you did. Not only did Joel's story convince me to ERF, I've been able to help encourage dozens of IRL moms to do the same with their kids. You're awesome :love:

hrice

You are awesome. I turned my LO FF at 15 mos because I didn't know better. Joels story is what convinced me to ERF. My LO is now 33 mos and still RF along with his 21 month old brother. I can't thank you enough for sharing your story and for your tireless effort to spread the word about the importance of rear facing. It is us who owe you the thanks!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
No Jim, thank YOU. I don't think you'll ever know how many kids you have helped keep safer with your message and the passion you have for ERF, displayed in your video. It influenced me to rearface to the limits, and has done so for my nanny parents as well. (I'll never forget the day my then-18mo charge's mom finally watched it; she came home and educated everyone within earshot about Joel's story.)

Way too many kids have stories like Joel's, but it takes someone special to get out and spread that message so they can spare another family that tragedy. So, again, thank you.

You were awesome on The Early Show. :love:

MomToEliEm

Thank you Jim for all you did to help get the word out and convince people. The new guidelines were a result of a lot of hard work from everyone in the Child Passenger Safety community, but you played a big part.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thank YOU, Jim!!! your site & Joel's story has kept many toddlers in the Finger Lakes region rear-facing ... your insight & dedication has been amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I agree with all the previous posters - thank YOU for all that you have done. Thank YOU for sharing your grandson's story. You pit a name and a face and a reality to what we had been trying to explain to parents.

Thank you so much, Jim. And you did a great job on TV too :)

msg221

Yes, Jim, we should be thanking YOU! It was Joel's story and your web site/video that convinced the mother of my twin godchildren to turn them back RF in her vehicle. I am happy to say that they are still RF at 2 months shy of turning 3!

Your web site also helped me to convince my stepdaughters to keep all of their children RF as well.

Thanks again!

Emi's Mommy

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I learned so much from this site and showed my DH the youtube videos but he was still "meh" and didn't really get it.

Then I showed him your site. He's totally on board now.

Your courage has helped so many people. I hope Joel continues to thrive in his recovery!

Lys

Senior Community Member
Jim, I can't tell you how many times I have sent people to Joel's Journey. It truly has helped so many kids remain safely rear facing. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure it wasn't easy in the beginning but look where it's ended up. You are an amazing advocate for your grandson and all children. :)

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Jim, it was by watching your video and visiting your website that I learned about ERF and why it is so much safer. My son turned 1 yesterday and he will be rear facing as long as he is within the limits. You have done so much for child passenger safety and there are so many children that are riding safer because of your efforts. Thank you so much. I am so sorry for what your grandson has had to go through but so much good has come out of the lessons learned. You took a tragedy and used it to educate people. Joel is so lucky to have you.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
You & Joel were the first people I thought of when I heard about the new recommendations. :2thumbsup:

icnee

Thank you, My first 3 were turned very young and then when my fourth was 13 mo I turned her as well and then when I was justt searching about car seats I came across the video of Jeol journey and she turned right back around and I bout another seat to turn my then 3 1/2 yo around and now at 5yrs 4mo 3yrs 11mo and 29mo my 3 youngest are still RFing.

Not only did you teach me why my kids should be RFing but you inspired me to learn more and then I became a Tech and still to this day i just keep learning, all because of you, so I thank You right from the bottom Of my Heart.

Give Joel a big HUG from all of us here at C-S.org and of course BIG HUGS for you too.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I saw your interview! It was great. You've done so much good through this tragedy, you are really to be commended :thumbsup:

Andie

We owe YOU big time!! You were such a squeaky wheel, and you got your oil! Joel's Journey changed the way I talked to people about rear-facing. Instead of linking 100 different sites and trying to explain why it was so important, I can now say "visit www.joelsjourney.org. The FAQs/links page has all the info you need."

I caught The Early Show, too. You did a GREAT job! People needed to hear this coming from you. It was great!

:yeahthat:

I have directed many moms from another board I frequent to your site. It has changed many minds. Thank you for your dedication!

sharsachan

thank YOU!! the video you made after joel's accident is what convinced me to ERF my kids as long as possible. i'm so glad things are finally becoming public and that more kids can be safe

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC