The oldest car seat at the check event

christineka

I looked it up out of curiosity. The oldest car seat that came to the check today was a strolee GT 2000. It was discontinued before 1990. It rear-faced to 17 pounds. Once baby was 17 pounds and could sit unassisted, they could ride forward facing until 40 pounds. (Though the top strap position is super low on the seat.) I can't believe a kid had been riding around in a 20+ year old car seat.

ADS

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I had a 4 yr old in a 16 yr old century(?) Shield booster... it was a in 07 so he left in a big kid.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I knew it was old but crikee! How many do you think we confescated? 30 seats. And gave out 30 Sceneras, 20 Cosco combos, and 20 boosters probably. A great 4 hours! Hopefully, these parents listened and learned something so these kids will be safer.

I can't believe I saw a 22 mo & a 2yo in nothing but boosters (different families). Someone else had a 2yo in an old 20lb SR that was installed FF. Amazing how much misuse you can see in just one day!

christineka

Yeah! I did two families, 8 kids total. I hated sending that last, little 4 year old away in a long expired cargo as a booster. It's an awful booster. Then there were two kids in screw-less turbos. One little girl's shoulderbelt was hanging off her shoulder. I gave her one of my shoulder belt adjusters which helped, but not totally. Due to sibling squabbles we couldn't move her to a better position. Out of those 8 kids, 9 seats (one kid had two), 6 of them were expired. It's so sad. I wish I could help more.

I think there were about 30 seats confiscated. There were so many that were long expired. The last seat that came in had expired 6 years ago. The boy, the only child was 3. The mom had got the seat from someone else.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Wow, I feel lucky. When I collect seats for recycling they're mostly Britaxes and old Snugrides. Usually from their original owners, not CL or ebay seats.

Wendy

christineka

This check was at a rec center and I think it was aimed at very low income families. I know the food bank is located there, or near-by. We were told to just give out seats and not stress donations.

Oh, and I was impressed that both of the moms knew about the recommendation to rear face to 2. One mom had gotten her baby's seat from the hospital and so had kept her dd rear-facing until age 2. The other mom was willing to try rfing her 2 year old again, but he had nearly outgrown rfing in the scenera by hight, so he got a cosco hbb. She had just bought a 3 in 1 for her baby and planned to erf her:)

amelia222

Wow, that's great you were able to help those families though. We don't have seats to give out so I have to tell families all the time to just go buy a new seat :(

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
It is always sad when we run out of seats but a lot of those people come in for FREE seats in nice, new(er) cars. It makes me wonder if they really need the free handout or if they are just out to get it without paying. A LOT Of those today did need the help but not all certainly.

I hope you told that mom about the Big Kid Sport. Surely she can round-up $30 to get a safe booster for her son. If I had the money, I'd do it but I can't help everyone, I'd be broke.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC