Which Convertible(s) for ERF, given a Sub Forester 2010 and boys who are tall for their weight

jlpoirier

My younger son, at 6 months, is getting too heavy to carry around in his Graco Snugride, and since that was the one selling point of an infant carseat for me, it's time to move him into a convertible.

My older son, at 2 years, is in a Britax Boulevard CS 65 that we bought a year and a half ago, and he loves it. However, while I'm researching new carseats for my younger son, I'm willing to buy a new carseat for my older son as well (and sell his Boulevard).

Here are things I need to factor into the decision:

1) My older is in the 10-15th percentile for height and weight; my youngest is in the 85-90th for height and 40th for weight. However, both boys have short legs and long torsos, so even the older one is about average for "height" in his carseat.

2) We have 2010 Subaru Forester, and it's my understanding that the Radians are difficult (ok, impossible) to install in this car, sadly.

3) My younger son has GERD, and the Britaxes were one of the few carseats that didn't seem to aggravate my older son's reflux when we moved him into a convertible at 6 months. (This is less of a concern, as we expect the GERD to be outgrown and we are not in the car on a daily basis.)

I've compiled a list of seats that allow RF up to 40 pounds (Britaxes, the Complete Air, the Evenflo Triumph 65, the Evenflow Momentum 65, the Evenflo Symphony 65 E3, the Radians, the Cosco Scenera 40, the Graco Myride, the Graco Smart Seat). But based on the CDC and WHO growth charts, it appears that the boys are going to outgrow every seat on the list by height literally years before they outgrow them by weight, with the possible exception of the Complete Air.

So. Does anyone have suggestions for carseats that are good for ERF by height, install well in a 2010 Forester, and which have a seat with more of an obtuse angle (for less pressure on his stomach to avoid upsetting the GERD)? Has anyone with a 2010 Forester tried to install a Complete Air?

All input appreciated! Thanks!

ADS

SavsMom

I had a 2010 Forester and the Complete Air installs pretty easily in it. From what I remember it took me a little work to get it in, but nothing terrible and after I figured it out the first time it got easier each time I did it.

jlpoirier

I had a 2010 Forester and the Complete Air installs pretty easily in it. From what I remember it took me a little work to get it in, but nothing terrible and after I figured it out the first time it got easier each time I did it.

Oh, thanks, good to know! Can I ask, were you installing it outboard, or in the center? This may be obvious, but I ask because, with the two boys, I will be installing both carseats outboard.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
I would hand the bv down and get a complete air for the oldest. Then reevaluate when one of them outgrows RF. You might be ready to ff at that point because he will likely be 4y.

I know the Radian and old style bv install well next to each other so you might even have luck with having them next to each other with a complete air. The. Radian and complete air are similar in size but it is harder to install then Radian more upright.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

SavsMom

Oh, thanks, good to know! Can I ask, were you installing it outboard, or in the center? This may be obvious, but I ask because, with the two boys, I will be installing both carseats outboard.

Outboard - the Forester is almost impossible to get a good install in the center as you cannot share latch and the position of the center seat belt makes it impossible. Also, the Forester owners manual strongly cautions against a center car seat install.

opaque1997

It would HIGHLY depend on your kids width in the shoulders but can I just make a plug for the Recaro? I have a Como and I have a forester and I have to say its one of the easier installs I have done in any car. The recline and the recline adjustment on it is very easy and smooth. It installs rear facing very easily and fits well. My Forester is older (2006) but I have LOVED my recaro. I had a 4 yr old in it - with fairly large shoulders and she loved it - but I agree past that age its going to be rough.

I got mine on sale for $99 - its a hard price to find - but in my opinion I loved them. IF your kids are wide shouldered though - it is more narrow.. but it rear faces to 40 at least (I can't remember right now) and ff's if they fit until 70.

jlpoirier

I would hand the bv down and get a complete air for the oldest. Then reevaluate when one of them outgrows RF. You might be ready to ff at that point because he will likely be 4y.

Hm, good idea! I hadn't really considered handing down the Britax, since (I estimate) my younger son will only be able to stay in it until he's a little over 2 -- but! By that time, there may be more options/newer carseats/etc.

I know the Radian and old style bv install well next to each other so you might even have luck with having them next to each other with a complete air. The. Radian and complete air are similar in size but it is harder to install then Radian more upright.

Oh, I'm not concerned about the two seats fitting in the backseat. And I wish I could consider Radians, but this thread is stopping me in my tracks.

jlpoirier

It would HIGHLY depend on your kids width in the shoulders but can I just make a plug for the Recaro? I have a Como and I have a forester and I have to say its one of the easier installs I have done in any car. The recline and the recline adjustment on it is very easy and smooth. It installs rear facing very easily and fits well. My Forester is older (2006) but I have LOVED my recaro. I had a 4 yr old in it - with fairly large shoulders and she loved it - but I agree past that age its going to be rough.

I got mine on sale for $99 - its a hard price to find - but in my opinion I loved them. IF your kids are wide shouldered though - it is more narrow.. but it rear faces to 40 at least (I can't remember right now) and ff's if they fit until 70.

Thanks for the suggestion! I love hearing about other people's positive experiences.

Unfortunately, this link indicates that the child can't be taller than 34" rear-facing, in the Recaro, which means my (small) older son is less than a year away from outgrowing it, and my younger son probably wouldn't even make it until 2 years. Is it possible that is a typo? The internal seat height is 26", which seems spacious for such a short height limit.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Overall height is only a guide. As long as the child has 1" of plastic above their head they can still rf in a seat. The weight limit is set in stone.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

opaque1997

To be honest I have no concept of inches to what that translates to pictorially :( I can tell you that my g/fs daughter who is 2.5 (and small for her age - perhaps 30 inches?) has a LONG way to go before she is an inch from the top of the seat AND if Britax has the same guidelines the top of the Roundabout is MUCH shorter then the Recaro Como.. Others on here have better technical skills on this and can provide more info.

My experience the Recaro shell height is better then the Britax Roundabout and the seat would last a lot longer then the Britax.

(other versions of britax may be a lot better its the roundabout I have experience with)

jlpoirier

Thanks to everyone who has given me feedback, I really appreciate it.

I've narrowed it down to either the Complete Air or the True Fit, for my older son, with plans to pass the Blvd to my younger son for now and buy him a new seat when he outgrows it. I'm leaning toward the True Fit, but I think the next step will be to take my son to the store and try him out in both, to see which appears to give him the best fit/most room to grow.

I will try to remember to update once we have tried the install and purchased!

pastrygirl

FWIW, I had no trouble installing a RNXT RF in my 2009 Forester, which was the first model year of the Forester redesign. I also have a CA RF, and far prefer it to the RN for the no-ratchet harness. I have to use a noodle for the install, though.

jlpoirier

FWIW, I had no trouble installing a RNXT RF in my 2009 Forester, which was the first model year of the Forester redesign. I also have a CA RF, and far prefer it to the RN for the no-ratchet harness. I have to use a noodle for the install, though.

Good to know!

I also saw (in another thread) that SavsMom had installed a Radian in her 2010 Forester, and I was about to reconsider, but then I read about the Radian Harness issues, and decided to just focus on the TF and CA.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC