Those Scenera bags in the news....

ADS

broken4u05

Yeah i saw the bag on friday. I like it. I have had to take a seat out of the box to get it home before so this is better.

mominabigtruck

I was wondering about those, I've seen them in walmart. But how do they protect the seat until you buy it, isn't there more chance of the seat being damaged before its bought?

Loves2sing

I said the same thing when this was mentioned before. I mean, I am all for being friendly to the environment, but until they can prove that they are just as safe as before with the previous shipping methods, I would steer clear. As far as having to remove the seat from the box to get it home, I have had to that too. But rather than leave the box sitting in the parking lot, I disassembled the box to make it flat. Then it fits fine in the trunk.

broken4u05

My trunk is full. I do try to put it in the back seat if i can though. like over the seats but that didnt work once

teekadog

I think bags are a better idea... Remember, when they were in the boxes, they were just loose in there, no cushioning packing material at all.

Say you drive a delivery business. You have a truck, and LOTS of stuff to put in it. You've got 2 car seats, in packages: one in a large 6-sided box, the other just wrapped in plastic, and therefore car seat-shaped.

So... which are you gonna put at the bottom of the stack and pile things on? Which would you put on top of the pile, probably anchored in such a way that it's odd shape won't rattle around too much during transit?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Seats are *tough*... people roll over them with cars and steam roller thingies and they just pop back into shape, they really do. They crash test them over and over and over and they perform just as well as the first time (that's why NHTSA has their rules about using seats after a minor crash...because there's no reason that it's not safe).
I mean, we tell people not to buy used seats because they might kinda sorta be theoretically less safe, but it's not really a huge danger (like aftermarket covers aren't a fiery deathtrap, mirrors aren't crushing skulls, seatmats aren't launching cars out windows, etc)... but shipping them without boxes really is fine (might keep them from being out of stock ALL the time at my Walmart, too...if they can get, say, 8 bagged seats in the space of 5 boxed seats...)

:)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Seats are *tough*... people roll over them with cars and steam roller thingies and they just pop back into shape, they really do. They crash test them over and over and over and they perform just as well as the first time (that's why NHTSA has their rules about using seats after a minor crash...because there's no reason that it's not safe).
I mean, we tell people not to buy used seats because they might kinda sorta be theoretically less safe, but it's not really a huge danger (like aftermarket covers aren't a fiery deathtrap, mirrors aren't crushing skulls, seatmats aren't launching cars out windows, etc)... but shipping them without boxes really is fine (might keep them from being out of stock ALL the time at my Walmart, too...if they can get, say, 8 bagged seats in the space of 5 boxed seats...)

How is non-biodegradable plastic more eco friendly then cardboard boxes? new trees can be planted, but that bag is going to take an eon to degrade.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, sure mention THAT :D. I forgot THAT... Maybe it'll keep a heap of 'carseat travel bags' from being made and sold? :eek:

Simplysomething

How is non-biodegradable plastic more eco friendly then cardboard boxes? new trees can be planted, but that bag is going to take an eon to degrade.

I was wondering the same thing. I knew I wouldn't be the first to think of it,so I read further.

Yay me. lol

ETA:
The seat also includes a detachable cup holder for spill-free riding. It retails for $49.84.
They should really call it what it is..."un-attachable cup holder"

mominabigtruck

I totally understand what your saying. Now I'm wondering why we're not supposed to buy floor models. Isn't that the same thing, a seat being jostled around, bumped or dropped?

southpawboston

I totally understand what your saying. Now I'm wondering why we're not supposed to buy floor models. Isn't that the same thing, a seat being jostled around, bumped or dropped?

i think maybe the idea behind that is that there may be missing parts which would promote unsafe or improper usage (e.g., missing LATCH strap, recall card, manual, etc). some customers might be totally willing to take a floor model with a missing manual or something for a slightly reduced price, not realizing that it can be a safety hazard. i looked at some floor models at BRU and walmart and there were definitely missing parts... whether an employee knew where they where is anybody's guess.

Simplysomething

At a small baby shop, I could see the employees knowing where the parts for the display seats are. At a walmart that might employ at least 500, with all that product...there is no way. lol

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
At Baby Depot, where I work, I place orders for seats for non profit organizations. I order a lot of Sceneras. I know how the truck drivers driver to my work, thinks are thrown all over the back of the truck, also the people that stack the truck, from our DC suck! I would not like my Sceneras in bags, they would not stack well at all! Maybe, if they shrink wrap them on the pallet, maybe. I have tried that, and could barely get them to the door without them falling!

Dillipop

Although non- biodegradable, it is a thick plastic with a nice carry handle. I could see it being a great bag to carry the seat through the airport without having to by another bag...Could probably be used for other seats of about the same dimensions.

wondering1

EPS foam breaks off easily...so this means that Cosco won't be adding EPS to it any time soon!

The tech who installed our brand new Britax Roundabout broke off the EPS foam...not sure if he even realised it....he didn't mention it to me...I happened to notice it when we got home.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC