affordable, light carseat & RF teethering

lucy8180

I have two questions.

1. In my husband's car we currently have two Cosco Sceneras. My older daughter (2.75 years old) is about to outgrow it heightwise and weightwise for rearfacing. I'm not sure what we should replace it with. I would like her to be rearfacing still, but don't want to spend a lot of money. The kids aren't in this car that often and these carseats are our traveling seats (we bring them and gate check them at the airport). I don't want something expensive that is costly to replace if/when the airlines damage it. Also we would like something that is lightweight like the scenera since lugging two kids and two carseats, plus the rest of our junk through the airport is a lot of work!

2. I have never used the rearfacing teethers. Should I be? If so, how do I attach them if there are no built-in attach points in the car (2001 VW Passat). We have a Marathon and a Radian-something (I can't remember which letters, but I think they are all similar enough).

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have two questions.

1. In my husband's car we currently have two Cosco Sceneras. My older daughter (2.75 years old) is about to outgrow it heightwise and weightwise for rearfacing. I'm not sure what we should replace it with. I would like her to be rearfacing still, but don't want to spend a lot of money. The kids aren't in this car that often and these carseats are our traveling seats (we bring them and gate check them at the airport). I don't want something expensive that is costly to replace if/when the airlines damage it. Also we would like something that is lightweight like the scenera since lugging two kids and two carseats, plus the rest of our junk through the airport is a lot of work!

I'd probably consider those seats crashed anyway. It's not a good idea to check seats. Gate or baggage, though gate checking does cut out a lot of the possibilities. Also, what are the kids using on the planes?

Rear facing you're starting to get into bigger seats to accommodate above 35 pounds rear facing. Things like your Marathon and Radian.

For travel at that age I'd probably look at an Evenflo Maestro and use it on board. It's forward facing, but at nearly three I'd be ok with that in a secondary vehicle. I don't think you're going to find a lightweight travel seat that rear faces above 35 pounds and has a taller shell than the Scenera for under $100.

2. I have never used the rearfacing teethers. Should I be? If so, how do I attach them if there are no built-in attach points in the car (2001 VW Passat). We have a Marathon and a Radian-something (I can't remember which letters, but I think they are all similar enough).

Thanks!

Your Marathon and Radian came with a D ring to make a rear facing tether point.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2upADev-UrM"]YouTube - Installing a Rear-Facing Tether Connector Strap (D-Ring)[/ame]

A Passat may be difficult to find a place to which to tether it, but you can try. It's not required.

Wendy

lucy8180

On the plane we usually have a lap child and our older daughter sits in a seat. I know we could bring the seat on, but we are usually so crowded for room without. She has no problem keeping her seat buckled and well shouldn't we all be in 5 point harnesses on the plane anyways? those flight attendants and pilots get all the good stuff.

If we have to move her forward facing we will probably just keep her in the scenera until she outgrows that forward facing. Any idea how kids do with one car forward facing and the other rear?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, a lap belt is good for most passengers as it keeps them in the seats, and the seats offer compartmentalization beyond that. For those restrained, anyway.

Make sure the lap belt fits your older daughter. Low on her hips off of her belly, and snug.

Lap babies are dangerous to those around you, in addition to themselves. I guess now you need to buy a seat, so you'll have room for it now.

Piper went from rear to forward facing without comment. And from harness to booster without comment. Kids are very matter of fact. In dad's car you do this, in mom's you do this, on planes you do this. It's just the way it is. They don't start to compare until they're older (probably six or seven I've found in my house).

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC