Safest positions in the car.

Baylor

I know that middle of the car is the safest, however my question is about 3rd row in a mini van.

Is there any kind of bump up or down in safety when putting children in seats in the third row as opposed to the second row.

I am curious because this is where the wheel wells are. I am not sure that is better or not.

Thanks!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Any appropriate rear seating position is quite safe if a carseat can be correctly installed and used there. If you are seeking any possible increase in safety, I would guess that the middle of the third row could be slighly safer than an outboard seat in the second row.

Even our data on the center seat is somewhat outdated. With newer cars and carseats that offer better side impact protection, the differences may not be all that significant. Plus, some older studies only compared the center seat to a seat on the struck side of the vehicle, neglecting that there is a 50% chance for a single outboard seat to be on the non-struck side (that is even farther from the point of impact).

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I can't link right now, but there's a fantastic article at carseatblog.com that talks about third row safety. Go there, type in "third row," and you should find it.

(I'm actually a little surprised Darren didn't link to it.)

Baylor

I actually was reading about that the other day, but everything I found seemed to be older. There were a few threads actually that I read through. I was reading about rear crashes in the third row and that in some cars that would not be safe.

I was just curious if in side impact crashes, Being near the wheel well increased or decreased safety.

I doubt it really makes much of a difference either way. You have to understand how strong axles are. Particularly compared to sheet metal. A piece isn't gonna snap off in the middle and spear through. A tire is generally gonna snap off and fly away, not go tearing into the passenger compartment. Your biggest worry is gonna be the same as in the 2nd row, the object that's hitting you on the side.

jessi f

I can't link right now, but there's a fantastic article at carseatblog.com that talks about third row safety. Go there, type in "third row," and you should find it.

(I'm actually a little surprised Darren didn't link to it.)

I went over to the blog to seach for this because I've been a little worried about putting my kids in the third row of my mazda 5. I was good article and definatly made me feel better about it. Here's a link in case anyone else want to read it :)

OP, sorry I dont have any insight on your original question ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC