Splain' this to me...

Baylor

Please... Said in my best Ricky Riccardo..

So a week or so ago I asked about how seats lose harness height when installed. You guys explained it great.. About incline and such..

My son outgrew his harness in the GN in November.. or so I thought.

I have always had him Outboard behind the driver 3rd row of my Grand Caravan.

Well, Tonight Dh is taking him to the Sixers game and they are driving through Chickfila on the way, so he asked me to put his seat in the middle bench. I did that earlier. When He sat in it in booster mode I noticed his shoulders were now under the top slot! They are not in the back seat but they are in the Middle? So different positions can change it in the same car?

So I reharnessed it and he is indeed under the top slot in the GN in the outboard middle row in my van.

:thumbsup:

ADS

Mae

Hey, I told you that they can gain OR lose harness height, depending on the install! :D

Baylor

What I love is that not only am I learning, I am seeing it myself. I love hands on training.

It made me feel better to have him harnessed because it is a miserable night here, rainy the temp is dropping, rush hour and I know he is going to fall asleep on the way home and I don't have to worry about him falling out of position.

I was thinking that the bench in back folds but the one in the middle is fixed.. can that have something to do with it?

Thanks for helping me see it!

Mae

I was thinking that the bench in back folds but the one in the middle is fixed.. can that have something to do with it?

If the seats are upright and locked into position at different angles, yep, it'll install differently, thus letting your kiddo possibly gain or lose harness height! :thumbsup:

Baylor

:thumbsup:

Definitely a good night for him to be harnessed.

Isn't it?! It is a miserable night! I think we are supposed to get snow tonight, Can you believe it?

If the seats are upright and locked into position at different angles, yep, it'll install differently, thus letting your kiddo possibly gain or lose harness height! :thumbsup:

The funny part was I was so excited..I guess that sounds silly.

Dh was like.. you may be getting a little too excited over car seats... :p

I just love all I have learned here. THANKS!

AtTheSouthDam

Hey, I have to move the head rest of DD1's Monterey down a notch when I move her into the back row. The bench there is flat where the middle row is angled. Also, I can install the RN RF in the middle row but not the back (not that it matter anymore, DD2 is 40# as of yesterday :crying:)

Baylor

And you were darn right.. I think I am back to thinking about matching CowMoo FR85 love..
Who knew you could be so darn excited over an install? Now I get it..

He just got in and harnessed himslf adjusted the chest clip and was so relaxed. I think he may prefer it because when he is in booster mode, I watch him in the mirror all the time.. This way, I know he is okay and leave him be.

monstah

I had the same seat (GN) in the same car and had the same thing happen to me. ;)
Actually, IIRC, my DS outgrew the GN in that car at almost 4 years old but lasted another full year+ when I got a new car. :eek:

Yeah, my DS had a monster torso and weighed 40 pounds by 2 years old.

I had the same seat (GN) in the same car
And that's why our seat check went so well. ;)

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yeah, we got a little snow last night apparently. It was melted when I woke up though. It was hailing a little today too. Where's spring? :thumbsdown:

Baylor

Thanks so much. I learned more at that check than I could have imagined.

That is amazing. It is really really cool to find all these little things that can change and install. I am still shocked that he gained enough to reharness.

Can not stop smiling about it.

Baylor

Yeah, we got a little snow last night apparently. It was melted when I woke up though. It was hailing a little today too. Where's spring? :thumbsdown:

UGH, I don't know but when you find it let me know..

How were the roads over there? Ir was just all wet and cold here this am. I know why it is happening. Dh packed up all the salt and the snow blower this weekend. It is HIS fault!

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I didn't leave until 9 and they were just wet. It's all your DH's fault.

When you get your FR85 we will have to get together. :thumbsup:

Baylor

So as an addendum here.. I installed my GN for my 6 yr old in my Dh's 2000 Explorer. Guess what?! MORE harness space. This is incredible! Another day I am really happy about it as the north east is just crapville when it comes to weather. It was snowing this morning here.

So Now my almost 7 yr old, Birthday first week of July, Is harnessed in his GN with room to spare.

Crazy stuff , so if your harness is getting too small, Move the seat.. See what happens!!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It's MAGIC, I'm tellin' you. That's the only way it makes sense to me, and it's the only thing I'll believe. ;)

Unknown.jpg

Baylor

I am good with that answer. My son sprouted up this year so I know he did not have anything to do with it. I wish I had tried this in the throws of winter!

It is magic.. Who knew there were car seat leprechauns?

Baylor

GNharnessheight.jpg

I can not believe the space he has now. He was just over the last slot when I removed the harness in Nov/Dec ? I think..

Now he has plenty of room and that is with his sweatshirt.

Mae

Silly, but logical question ...

Are you *sure* that you had it on the *top* slot in November? A lot of people don't realize there's one at the very top, and perhaps when you were removing the harness and putting it in booster mode, you moved the headrest up, without knowing there was another slot and you just noticed it.

Anyway, either way - that's great. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC