True Fit Premier question (Coccoro question too)

hersheyb79

OK, my DD is 11m old, but about 23lbs (BIG girl!). She is finally w/in 1" of the top of the shell on her infant carrier so I broke out the big guns (so to speak). We have 3 vehicles she regularly rides in, and I have 2 True Fit Premier's & a Combi Coccoro.

I put the True Fit in and I got it tight. I LOVE it, and then I see the thing that is on the seat back that says if she is over 22lbs she has to have the upper seat back. She's big but not so big that she's at the top of the shell where that red line is...I checked the instrcutions and it says if the child weights more than 22lbs that they have to have the upper seat back. I DON'T want to add it on yet. If I do I will have to reconfigure everything because that is a really tall seat with the back on it and I will not be able to have a passenger unless I put her in the 3rd row of the van (I can't even imagine trying to buckle her in back there...).

So my 1st question is...do I really need it and why. She's WELL below the red line.

My 2nd question is the Coccoro. I bought it for my PT Cruiser. I'm having a horrible time getting it tight. It gets tight and then someone bumps it and it topples forward and then it needs to be installed again. I've tried the rolled up towel thing, but then I have towel sticking out past the latch bars and I don't feel like it's as tight as it should be. I'm going to try installing again in my DH's car that has a bit more cushiony seats (a dodge stratus) hoping it can get a tighter w/out the tipping issue...

I realize this is a hard seat to install...I knew that before I bought it. I just didn't realize it was so hard to get in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ADS

Mae

So my 1st question is...do I really need it and why. She's WELL below the red line.

Yes, you really do. If you didn't, they wouldn't tell you to do it. ;) Why? We really don't know why, perhaps it fails over 22lbs. They just say to do it, so I'm going to believe them.

My 2nd question is the Coccoro. I bought it for my PT Cruiser. I'm having a horrible time getting it tight. It gets tight and then someone bumps it and it topples forward and then it needs to be installed again. I've tried the rolled up towel thing, but then I have towel sticking out past the latch bars and I don't feel like it's as tight as it should be. I'm going to try installing again in my DH's car that has a bit more cushiony seats (a dodge stratus) hoping it can get a tighter w/out the tipping issue...

Yeah, that's normal for the CCO. You can contact Combi for a "Recline Block", which is supposed to help (it doesn't always).

How are you installing, LATCH? Have you tried it with the seat belt? Tried both routings with the seat belt, including the European routing? I get a much better install with the European routing for my CCO.

babygirlsmom1005

Marshall is also below the line of his TFP and just over 22 lbs (last time he was weighed).

When he got close to the 22 lbs mark, I added it on.

I am not sure if it makes the seat stronger or if it failed without it or not for a larger (over 22 lbs kid) without it on there. Rather be safe than sorry.

BananaBoat

I can answer your True Fit question:

Yes, you must put on the headrest for any child who is over 22 lbs. Why? Because when it was tested, it was either not tested to properly secure a child over that weight or it did not pass with a child over that weight. Not using the headrest over 22 lbs would effectively render your DD a crash test dummy.

As for reconfiguring, trust me I understand as our Forester desperately lacks in backseat room. But the True Fit with the headrest barely takes up any more room than without because of the angle the headrest attaches.

hersheyb79

How are you installing, LATCH? Have you tried it with the seat belt? Tried both routings with the seat belt, including the European routing? I get a much better install with the European routing for my CCO.

I'm going to try it w/the seat belt. I remember trying once before, but it was December and cold and it's likely I just didn't have the patience needed to get it in properly (I vaguely remember the seatbelt being in the way or not being able to get it around the back of the seat properly...IDK I didn't try hard enough).

What is European routing? I'll try anything...I paid too much for that seat to not use it!!!

As for the True Fit. I'll put the back on and see where we are at length wise. I know it will fit in the middle of my cruiser, worst case scenario, but then I have to find a narrow booster to puzzle with it for my 6yo. He needs a new booster anyway, I noticed today that his booster expires pretty soon (hand me down from our oldest child). If it didn't recline so much it wouldn't be a problem (and my DD would be happier because she'd rather sit more upright).

babygirlsmom1005

I'm going to try it w/the seat belt. I remember trying once before, but it was December and cold and it's likely I just didn't have the patience needed to get it in properly (I vaguely remember the seatbelt being in the way or not being able to get it around the back of the seat properly...IDK I didn't try hard enough).

What is European routing? I'll try anything...I paid too much for that seat to not use it!!!

As for the True Fit. I'll put the back on and see where we are at length wise. I know it will fit in the middle of my cruiser, worst case scenario, but then I have to find a narrow booster to puzzle with it for my 6yo. He needs a new booster anyway, I noticed today that his booster expires pretty soon (hand me down from our oldest child). If it didn't recline so much it wouldn't be a problem (and my DD would be happier because she'd rather sit more upright).

It can go up to a 35* angle for a upright position

Mae

The European routing means you wrap the shoulder portion of the seat belt back behind the car seat, and through the slot. There are instructions in your manual. :)

8b7c630a.jpg

hersheyb79

So with the euro routing how do you get the child in...doesn't the seatbelt get in the way. I think that's the way I tried it, but I couldn't get the seatbelt around the back w/out the belt locking on me (before I was ready) and causing me massive headaches. Again, it was December and cold, so I didn't give it as much time as I should have.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I prefer the seat belt install of the CCO over the LATCH install for my Jeep Liberty. I use the Euro routing and it can be a bit cumbersome to get DS in on the side that the belt comes around but it isn't too bad. I just lift him over the belt. When I install I have to climb in behind the seat (with my butt hanging out in the front seat :p) and use my hips to push the seat in to the bight while tightening the belt. I have found that installing this way makes it less likely to flip in to the back of the seat if someone touches the top/back of the seat. I am going to be so sad when DS outgrows this seat RF because I love it so much and I have no plans to use it FF. I will most likely buy another convertible to keep DS RF.

christineka

From what I read, you don't need to have the tfp in recline mode to be rear-facing. I tried it with mine, but the seat barely fit without the headrest. Then I read that I didn't need the recline, so I went right out and fixed it.

Mae

From what I read, you don't need to have the tfp in recline mode to be rear-facing. I tried it with mine, but the seat barely fit without the headrest. Then I read that I didn't need the recline, so I went right out and fixed it.

The recline foot MUST be used (flipped forward) when rear facing. The recline pull button thing has the option to be reclined, though. It helps to be descriptive so people don't ASSume things, as we all know that people assume way too much in regards to car seats. ;)

The manual, pages 47/48. http://content.learningcurve.com/co...gearInstructions/pdf/C670_Instructions_EN.pdf

0be1b7dd.jpg

72a534e7.jpg

BananaBoat

The recline foot MUST be used (flipped forward) when rear facing. The recline pull button thing has the option to be reclined, though.

Color me confused :confused:

WTH is the recline foot?

From the manual pages you posted, there is the rebound bar, which must be used RF & the Yellow recline adjuster which is optional.

Can we clarify EXACTLY what levers/buttons/chunks of plastic we're referring to, please?

Mae

Color me confused :confused:

WTH is the recline foot?

From the manual pages you posted, there is the rebound bar, which must be used RF & the Yellow recline adjuster which is optional.

Can we clarify EXACTLY what levers/buttons/chunks of plastic we're referring to, please?

I couldn't think of the word, my bad. :rolleyes:

Yes, the recline foot = the rebound bar. That's what I meant.

And the recline adjuster, meaning the LEVER you pull to change the recline, but not the actual FOOT, or REBOUND BAR.

I provided the pictures to further explain. Take a look and I didn't think it'd be that hard to figure out, since there's only one thing you flip forward, and one thing that has the option to be pulled to change the recline.

BananaBoat

Thanks for the clarification. When I hear "foot" I think Radian & have a very different picture in mind, KWIM?

I was getting concerned that there was a part of DD's seat that I hadn't ever noticed. It had never occurred to me not to use the anti-rebound bar because it's why I bought that seat.

To clarify further, this only pertains to the TFP & not to the regular TF, correct?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC