Should I buy Radians to RF the kids in my Civic?

glockchick

Kaleigh is 4 years, 7 months old and right at 40 lbs. She wants to face backwards, but she will only be riding in my car regularly until June. I know, no brainer. Keep her FFing.

CJ is 3 years, 1 month old and 35 lbs. He'll be in my car regularly until he's 5 1/2.

I keep going back and forth. It would be easier if Radians would install in my suburban, but they won't at all so the kids will be ff-ing in my Suburban. CJ in his MA and Kaleigh in a FR85 or GN.

Yes, there are other options than the Radian for CJ, but I don't trust dorel enough to buy a 40 scenera or CA for him. The MR is a huge seat for such a tiny car and I already was having trouble getting him into his rfing MA when he outgrew that. He's pretty big and the size of the opening between the seat and the door is not. ;) So it would have to be a Radian.

Or do I just say screw it and keep him FF. He made it to 3 rear facing after all. I'm ok with it in the Suburban because of the vehicle mass, but it worries me in my tiny little civic. But then again, the only wreck I've almost been in in that car, we were almost rear ended by a guy doing 65-70 who managed to swerve at the last minute. We were stopped. So I think about that too...

I have to get one more seat so I have a seat for all of them in each vehicle. I was just going to get a Frontier 85 and call it a day, but I have this nagging voice in the back of my head saying I really should be rfing CJ at least in the Civic. Grrrr.

It seems best practice is a tough call ATM. :(

Last edited:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If I had seats to RF them I would. (If the older kid actually wanted to.)

If I didn't, I wouldn't buy new ones.

momtotwogirls

What yr civic is it? I had a 2000 Civic and there was NO WAY a radian would fit. Even getting it fairly upright the front seats still required to be ALL the way forward.

glockchick

It's an 2001. I can move the passenger seat forward as far as I need cause no one rides there.

I have to buy 1 seat regardless. I'm just debating whether to get Kaleigh the pink FR 85 she wants and keep CJ in his, or make her use his red one and get him a seat he can RF in.

Stupid reasoning but I kinda feel bad for KG. She always gets hand me downs cause she's the second girl, CJ gets née stuff cause my older boys have worn it out by the time they're done with it. It would be nice for KG to get her Pink seat she asked for. Plus shed be jealous CJ was RFing and she wasn't. Lol

amyd

A RFing Radian will fit just fine in that year Civic. I have a 2004 & I can drive with a Radian behind me. I'm 5'10" with a 34" inseam. They install really nicely with either LATCH or the seatbelt in that car.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would for CJ. I don't know about Kaleigh. If she'll be upset to not RF and you have the means to, you can buy it now and then sell it on swap come June.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC