Question Moving from harnessed Frontier to Booster Question

U

Unregistered

My DD is 6.8 years old. She is approx 49" and 56lbs. She is still harnessed in her Frontier XT seat. I actually just got a new one 2 months ago as we were in a minor collision. Also got a new car too! She was in the older model Frontier before the accident. So this actually gives a longer timeline for her to stay harnessed now that we have a higher harness height.
She rides in a booster in grandparents cars, but I really don't like them. They just don't seem sturdy to me.

My question is about the Frontier when I decide (or rather am forced too...) turn it into a booster, can it be latched in like other booster models? (clek and parkway sgl).

I should also mention that I have a seatbelt installation of the seat done in my car because I wasn't sure about latch weight limits etc...when I got my new car. (Toyota Corolla 2010)
If anyone knows that too, that would be helpful also!!

Thanks so much!!

ADS

canadiangie

Toyota says you go with what your car seat manual says. The Frontier manual says to go with what your vehicle manual says. When this happens we take a conservative approach and go with 40 pounds.

Once you convert the Frontier to booster mode you can LATCH/UAS it and top tether it. At that point the UAS is merely restraining the weight of the Frontier, not the weight of your child.

This also applies to any UAS'able booster you purchase.

I hope that isn't too confusing.

mommycat

Also, if it helps you feel better about the boosters, they don't need to be particularly "sturdy" because they are not restraining the child. Their function is merely to position the seatbelt properly over the child prior to a potential collision (and the armrests are supposed to keep the lapbelt from riding up during a crash).

U

Unregistered

I think I understand... So I did the right thing by using a seatbelt installation while she is harnessed, and when she moves into the booster mode I can then use the latch and top tether strap.

Why can you latch it when it's in a booster and not 5 point harness mode?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC