Advice on Britax Frontier 85 please. Pics included.

daniellelucille

I must say, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Britax Frontier 85. I just converted my DS who was outgrowing his marathon in torso height... He's only 4, but he's pretty tall. Anyways, I couldn't say enough good things about the Frontier 85, but I'll get to my dilemma... This is my DS in his seat with 3 clicks from the top:

IMG_5686.jpg

I just feel like the headrest is too high... However, here he is with it 4 clicks from the top (in DD's new Frontier 85):

IMG_5689.jpg

And the strap height:

IMG_5691.jpg

It's REALLY iffy with the strap height... It's hard to have him keep still, but it's either RIGHT at his shoulders or just below... and I know below is a no-no FFing... I was always told if it's iffy to move it up...

Is there a way to leave the straps at this height but lower the headrest? I read the whole manual and it looked like there was, but it may have been referring to harness and headrest as the same setting, but calling it harness when in 5 pt harness mode and headrest only when in booster mode... The wording was a little off... So whenever I have questions, I come to you lovely people! TIA!

Here's another pic of him when he fell asleep in it earlier... I really wanted to resolve this first, but I had two appts today that couldn't wait. I really feel the headrest is too high, however in the manual it just said not to have the head OVER the headrest... nothing about headrest too high...

IMG_5688.jpg

HELP!

ADS

ConnorsMommy

I'm having the same issue with my son in his Frontier. He's going to be 4 this week and is 40 inches tall. I have it at the higher position so it's a little farther above his shoulders than I would like. If I put it on the lower one, it would be at or below, depending on how he was sitting. I had a CPST look at it last week, and at first he was concerned about the height, but when I told him where the straps would come out if it was lower (at or below his shoulders) he said it was fine. From what I've read, it seems more dangerous it it is too low than if its a little high.

LuvMyCharlie

Oh look, there I am driving by. :whistle: Just kidding. ;)

My ds is fitting the same at two clicks from the top. I think with this type of seat, there's always going to be that 'in between' stage where things look a little off. But yes, err on the side of too high. To me, it looks like in the lower setting, it's just ever so slightly below his shoulders anyway.

::er!ca::

Keep it in the higher position. It looks like he's just at the point to moving up to the next position, which will make the headrest seem high.

I'm not a CPST, and that is only my opinion ;)

Baylor

What I was told is that above is above. So if it is a little higher that is okay. More important to be above then too low.

He looks great! Cute little guy! I am getting Cowmoo FR85 next week! I can not wait!

Mommy0608

It's perfectly fine the way you have it. The harness isn't too high at all, neither is the headrest. There's always that awkward stage where they are just moving up to the next height position, but he'll grow into it.

Oh, and no, you can not move the headrest and harness separately.

FWIW, my DD looks exactly the same in her FR85. :thumbsup:

luckyclov

It's perfectly fine the way you have it. The harness isn't too high at all, neither is the headrest. There's always that awkward stage where they are just moving up to the next height position, but he'll grow into it.

Oh, and no, you can not move the headrest and harness separately.

FWIW, my DD looks exactly the same in her FR85. :thumbsup:
Same here, word-for-word.:)

tracee877

Yep, my DS fits the same way, as you can see in my siggy. In the next lower notch he's right at the slot or just over it if he sits really straight. He naturally slouches in it though which makes it look worse. I still have the crotch buckle in the first slot because of his slouching.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC