Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Can I have your thoughts on this

So yesterday I was driving along and came to a stop sign and of course it had to be snowing so my abs were working and then my van stoped so hard that I flung forward and then back into my seat pretty hard (hard enough that my shoulder hurt from the seat belt.)

I would have just not tried so hard to stop but there was a car making a left hand turn in front of me ( I just missed hitting her) You'd think she would have noticed I wasnt stopping and waited.

any how I had no kids with me. would you still use the seats or WWYD, it was very hard.
    I have never before stopped so hard that I was stunned and my shoulder hurt.
    Isaiah 11yrs 5'4" 144# passes the 5 step test Cadence 8yrs 47# btb Naveah 6yrs 50# btb Emma 5yrs 41# RF diono 120 & booster Elijah 3YRS 38lbs RF diono 120
    Auto correct gone wild.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Re: Can I have your thoughts on this

Yes, I would still use the seats. You didn't crash, you are just on the extreme end of normal driving conditions.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Thanks, I just feel better have other peoples opinions instead of just my own even though my family says I am a know it all, I know that I don't.

My first thought when it happened was wow thats kinda like the crash test videos, then oh I wonder if my seats are ok. LOL
    Isaiah 11yrs 5'4" 144# passes the 5 step test Cadence 8yrs 47# btb Naveah 6yrs 50# btb Emma 5yrs 41# RF diono 120 & booster Elijah 3YRS 38lbs RF diono 120
    Auto correct gone wild.

Yep, I would still use the seats, without even a second thought. There was no actual impact, just a hard stop.
    CPST & Mom to:
    Keep (11 yrs old, 57", 80 lbs), in an Olli, Ozzi & BB
    Sass (10 yrs old, 54", 76 lbs), in Santa Fe, Monterey & Olli
    Zilla (4 yrs old, 38", 36 lbs), FF in a PS, RXT & FR85
    Rollin' in a 2014 Ody, 2012 F-150 SuperCrew & Luigi, a peppy little 2012 Fiat 500

If you think about it, the seats were empty so there was no load to strain anything. Kinda like how an ant can survive a fall of hundreds its height whereas we would be splattered.

You, weighing more than 10 pounds, got slammed around from the force. The seat, being much lighter, wouldn't be thrown around as violently (also cuz it's strapped in tighter than a person in a regular seat belt is).