School bus transport...

Shaunam

So I'm able to take DS to the daycare with me now. They will be going to COSI in columbus on thursday. Over the summer the school age kids take 2-3 field trips per WEEK. I'm still waiting on the director to get back to me on whether or not the bus has seat belts or not, but in the meantime figured I'd ask on here.

The bus is the size of a shorter school bus, like the special needs one. It will be driven by the assistant director, not a regular bus driver.

Would you be comfortable with this if the bus does NOT have seat belts?

If it DOES, would you insist on using a booster (DS is 6).

ADS

Mae

I'd be fine with it. Buses are less likely to be in crashes, and when they are in crashes, they are much safer than vehicle crashes.

I'd be ok with it. :)

Shaunam

I just worry because it's a smaller bus and it isn't as noticeable as a school bus. It is white with blue and red lettering, not bright yellow.

Dillipop

In my state, all shorter buses are required to have lap belts. It's a toss up if I'd have my kid use the lap belt or not. There's no way to use a booster.

Shaunam

Ok it DOES have seat belts. I didn't even think to ask about lap vs lap/shoulder. If it's lap only then obviously no booster right? Lap/shoulder I will do a backless because why not? LOL

The teacher was telling me that the kids under 40 lbs "have to" be in a booster (only one tiny kid in the class falls into that category). Does anyone know the law in Ohio for this situation? Is there something other than the 8/80 law for daycare vehicles? I don't know exactly what "type" of vehicle it falls under, but if they have to follow the regular law, I would want to let them know it's 8/80 now, not 4/40.

Shaunam

It looks like they are right about the 40 lb thing. I didn't dissect it though. Oh well, as long as it's lap/shoulder Adrian will be in a backless despite being 44 lbs. Then the little bitty kid won't be the only one. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC