Rear facing in a Mazda MVP

MunkyCrazy

Does anybody know if any convertibles with high RF weight limit will fit rear-facing in the captains chair behind the driver with the seat all the way back? It's for an older child, so the seat can be upright. I'd like the seat to also install well once it is FF too, in the same position.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I installed a Britax Advocate RF in a 2006 MVP a couple of days ago. With the Advocate fairly upright, I was able to move the drivers seat pretty far back, though I'm not sure if it was all the way back.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I know a True Fit will fit RF in the new CX9 in either outboard seat... but I'm not sure how the size of the CX9 compares to the MPV (and what year MPV you're referring to).

MunkyCrazy

It has to be all the way back, and most likely allowed to touch the seat back. I'm 6'0 with long legs that hit the wheel column if it's up at all.

Do they have TFs with higher than 35lb RF limits? DS just turned 3 last month but he's already 34lbs, so 35 is too close for me. I may just have to forget about ff.

It's a 2004 MPV, but I'm not sure how they compare either.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We have a tech who frequently installs RF seats in an MVP for her daycare... hopefully she'll come in here and post shortly.

That said, IIRC she uses Complete Airs a lot -- so that (combined with its high RF weight limit) might be a good bet. It tends to fit well front-to-back when you install it fairly upright.

AllieCanada

I only have pictures of the seats installed on the passenger side but the Truefit fits in the captains seats (these weren't permanent installs just taken for c-s.org my DD rides in the 3rd row rearfacing) The van is a 2000 MPV

rearfacing
0044.jpg

and forward facing
0017.jpg

I don't currently have any pictures but I have been able to get a Radian installed as well. The slant of the seats makes for a pretty decent upright install.

desiree_leigh

Behind the drivers seat with the drivers seat all the way back is going to be a really tough one. I can get a TF installed in the middle (if you have the same body style as I do with a 2002 MPV, your other 2nd row cptn chair slides side to side?) with the psgr seat and driver seat nearly all the way back. I could go back further I'm sure but I haven't tried. I suggest trying the psgr/middle seat out if at all possible rather than the drivers side, otherwise I would look for a seat that has a really small front/back footprint - maybe the Evenflo Triumph Advance? I know there's NO WAY I'd get a TF behind the drivers seat, sorry. I could get it upright enough to do it but it would be more upright than allowed by the mfgr.

MunkyCrazy

Great, thanks! I will go to BRU soon and test a CA in there. Were the seats back when you had the Radian installed?

My 16 month old is RF in the sliding captains seat behind the passenger. I don't mind the seat being up a few inches there.

Do you know if it's ok to remove the handle that is screwed into the back of the front seats? I figured it may give me a couple extra inches to do that, depending on how the seats fit.

He is riding FF in an EFTA right now and I did try to flip it the other day. Maybe I didn't have it upright enough though because there was no way I was fitting. I will try again tomorrow though. I read through a thread about upright installs so I think I have a better idea on how to do it and how to measure the angle.

desiree_leigh

I removed the handle on ours, but honestly it didn't make much of a difference at all. You may find something different, so I'd say give it a try. I can't see the handle's prescence or absence making a difference from a safety standpoint.

I honestly hope you can find something to work in that position - I FF'd DD2 when I had to put her behind the driver's seat b/c I couldn't get anything to RF there without serious bracing - the drivers seat actually changed the angle of the RF seat installed behind it so I didn't bother. Trudy (snowbird) may have some insight, I believe she helped a friend get a RF seat behind the driver. I'll ask her to check up on this thread :)

ETA: what about putting a RF'er in the 3rd row and scooting the drivers side 2nd row cptn chair forward? Just load through the hatch then?

Cryssy Jane

Oo oo pick me I'm here. Sorry mama you pm'ed me but life has been crazy and I hadn't gotten back to you. I'm on my phone so I'll post pictures later.

A radian rf will only install in a captains chair when the passenger side is slid to the middle using latch with both front seats all the way back. It will not fit either behind the drivers seat all the way back without extreme bracing (like fully digging into the seat back), or the passenger seat because it would have to brace and the airbag system doesn't allow that. It also leaves heavy indentations on the passenger headrest upon installation that way. It will fit rf in the third row center with the captains chairs slid all the way to the sides but will not fit rf behind either of the captains chairs as the base of the seat lifts inches above the vehicle seat.

A complete air (regular or lx) will fit in both captains chairs (with front seats all the way back) at a 40-42 degree recline. It'll fit anywhere in the third row rf as well but you have to take off the headrest for the second row captains chair. I have the lx Model so I put the base on full recline then push down on the feet part to get it more upright so that technically it's still following manufactures guidelines. The third row is around a 35-38 degree angle.

The myride fits awesome in any position rf at around a 35-40 degree recline. I just had a difficult time lifting that far up and over those sides (I'm 5 feet) I used it for a while in the third row and was able to lift through the hatch ok.

The classic britax line fits great as well in any position but especially third row as the base bumps it over the wheel spots in the third row.

I did not have enough front to back space for a true fit. Every kiddo I tried in the tf has extremely terrible head-slump at about 35 degrees but there was no room to recline it more.

The new britax seats also fit well, but I'm not really a huge fan of the new line so I haven't really played with it in the van.

Last edited:

Cryssy Jane

desiree_leigh said:
Wow, you had far better luck (and seat choices!) than I did! Thank you :D now I know!

No problem. :) we've had the van since 2006 so I've gotten good use of my carseat addiction out of it especially since the kiddos keep doing this whole growing thing ;)

Op I hope that helps you. I may be able to dig up some more pictures on my computer.

MunkyCrazy

Thank you Cryssy! I think I could pick out what most of the seats in the pictures are. I will be looking in to the MyRide now, too. Is there a reason you aren't liking the new Britax seats?

ajewel

MunkyCrazy said:
Thank you Cryssy! I think I could pick out what most of the seats in the pictures are. I will be looking in to the MyRide now, too. Is there a reason you aren't liking the new Britax seats?

Most of us don't like the new britax seats since they shortened the shell& will only last as long as the MR65 rfing any way, so why spend the$ $$ on britax when a $ 120 seat will work just as well? :) plus there are other cheaper seats that are taller& will last longer.

MunkyCrazy

Ah thanks! I don't know if the quick adjust harness, rf tether and lock offs would be worth the extra money to me or not. I wish I could design the perfect seat for us and order it, with all the features I want. That would be awesome, haha.

Last night I was thinking about it and thought about what Cryssy said about the Radian. I realized that if the EFTA does fit RF I could switch DS2 behind the driver and install the Radian on the sliding seat. I didn't think it would be allowed to push on the headrest b/c of the airbags either. How bad is it? Would I be likely to smack my head into the seat in an accident?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC