OT:how long with a fever before you would worry?

Amaris

Isaiah has had a fever since Thursday morning. It's been as high as 104.5, but with alternating motrin and tylenol every 3 hours it will come down to 100-101. His only other symptoms are a runny nose which I think is allergies.....he gets it about this time every year, and a cough, which may just be sinus drainage. He just doesn't seem to be fighting off whatever this is. I think it's probably just a virus, but every other time one of the boys has been sick they've only had a fever for 2 or 3 days, today is the 5th day. Sometimes he wants to play and sometimes he's very clingy, which isn't normal for him. Any advice is appreicated!!

ADS

momof2kiddos

A fever is a good sign it means his body is fighting the infection.As long as you are able to bring the fever down and he is drinking well and eating some,using the restroom at least once every few hours then I wouldn't worry too much.If this continues for more then 9 days then I would take him to see a doctor,but viruses last 5-9 days.

Amaris

I'm a little worried about his fluids.....he just doesn't want anything, food or drink. He's at the age where it's almost impossible to force him to drink, and I've gone so far as to give him a time out and take away movies until he drinks, he still won't (movies are a big sick thing in our house.....we break the tv rules for the sick!). Yesterday I managed to get 3oz of gatorade and 1/2 of a popcicle (sp) into him.....that just doesn't seem like enough to me. He's lost a little over 2lbs in 5 days also.

Dillipop

Personally, since it's been above 100 for 5 days, I would head to the doctor, just to be on the safe side. While it's good for a fever to do it's job, 5 days seems like a lot, especially with you having to use tylenol every 3 hours to keep his temp at 100. If it's viral, you're only out a copay. If it's something else that may be treatable, you'd know. That's just what I would personally do.

skaterbabs

I don't worry about fevers unless the child's basic personality changes - i.e., a normally happy child gets clingy and whiny, ect. It sounds like that's the case for him, so I'd take him in.

Melizerd

I'd call the doctor at this point. My pedi allows pedialyte mixed with formula for fluid help but only if she specifies.

Poor kid.

Kellyr2

If he's showing signs of dehydration, I"d take him in. Otherwise, I'd just keep fliuds near him at all times, encouraging him to take sips often. Or offer 100% juice popcicles (or the pedialyte ones - but not the plain sugary ones). feed liquidy meals - soups and such.

LuvBug

my rule of thumb growing up was always

"if you arent the least bit better within 5 days, go to the doctor"
(unless you just knew something was wrong of course!).

So since its been 5 days Id take him. I dont really know where that saying came from, but it has always worked for us. Ive only been to the doctor for a cold a handful of times in my life, but been automaticly for strep or severe injuries, things I couldnt just wait out for my body to heal or self treat.(and I hate medication! I dont even take tylenol for a severe headache, I just dont like meds!)

There is a virus going around here that is really bad. It lasts a long time even with medication. I had it for 2-3 weeks, I waited it out longer than the 5 days because I thought some of the stuff I had at home would work, but it didnt. Im just now getting over it and so tired!

Mom2nj

Our Peds ofc recomends calling if they have had a significant fever for 3 days, then they want to see them to rule out a bacterial infection of some sort. I would definitly call and speak with them.

Lea_Ontario

The fever wouldn't concern me, but the lack of fluids would.

Can you try this - give him a tsp to TBSP of liquid (pedialyte, likely) every 15 minutes.

I had to do that a couple of weeks ago with my daughter, after a few days of puking she was fairly dehydrated and needed liquids - so I started with a tsp of Gatorade every 15 minutes, and after several hours, moved to 1/4 cup every 15-20 minutes.

It was small enough amounts that she was able to keep it down, and wasn't complaining about having to take it.

Loves2sing

I would take him in for sure. Better safe than sorry! I sure hope he gets well soon, and that both Mother and son can get a good rest! I am sorry that this was how you spent your mother's day!

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
My ped tells me ithat if the fever lasts more tha 48 hours, she should come in. So I would definately take him in ASAP. Theres a reason why he still has the fever, his body may need a little help fighting off an infection.

A cool new cup with a neat sippy straw or spout could help with the fluid intake. I would also be inclined to offer some flat 7-Up, Sprite, or Fresca, which my kids would normally accept due to the novelty of being given soda whilst sick. ;) I personally don't get too concerned about the fevers, esp. if the meds are keeping it down pretty consistently. But your ds is right at the same place where my own comfort level would be teetering, too, mainly because of the fluids (or lack of, rather).

So I guess my suggestion is, push fluids, even just sips at a time, and watch closely over the next 24 hrs. I'm convinced that he will show a marked improvement with more fluids; part of his problem right now is likely dehydration. I wouldn't personally go running off to the ER at the first sign for a child over the age of 1.5 or so, but would do all I could at home to up the fluids first, and pay close attention to the symptoms of possible dehydration.

Oh-- gross as it sounds/is, I also will let the little ones have frequent lukewarm/tepid baths to combat the fever, and they usually end up trying to drink some of the tub water. Normally I discourage that (ew.), but during an illness where they aren't drinking enough, I've been known to overlook it...

I hope he feels better soon!!

oxeye

Our Peds ofc recomends calling if they have had a significant fever for 3 days, then they want to see them to rule out a bacterial infection of some sort. I would definitly call and speak with them.

Agreed. My girls' pediatrician says to bring them in with any fever that lasts for 3 days or more.

LeeLi

Five days of a high fever definitly warrent a trip to the doctor. Like Jane pointed out the fever could be a sign of bacterial infection that needs treatment. It's probably just the flu, but at this point it is worth it to be sure.
I hope he feels better soon!

Amaris

We ended up going to the doctor this morning. He does have a virus, and another wonderful ear infection. He did have an entire pedilyte popcicle while he was there though, the doctor told him he couldn't leave until he finished it! After I dropped him off at home and went out for his medicine for the ear infection DH got him to drink 1/2 a bottle of propel, so he's had some fluids now! Hopefully he starts to feel better soon. Michael also ended up with a fever, but it started yesterday and it's already gone. Usually when they get a fever it doesn't last long, they are pretty good at fighting things off, which is another reason I'm concerned. If he still has the high fever on Wednesday I'm supposed to call back. Thanks to all of you for your advice and support!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC