NYT article on new rear facing recomendation

ADS

Brianna

Is there any way to make parents understand it's ok for feet to touch the seat and that their children aren't uncomfortable because they bent or crossed their legs?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
briheartzu said:
Is there any way to make parents understand it's ok for feet to touch the seat and that their children aren't uncomfortable because they bent or crossed their legs?

"broken leg? cast it. broken neck? casket."

That's all I usually say to that excuse.

Oterwise, I ask them if they like the feeling of pins & needles or numbness or achey back when their legs dangle unsupported from a high seat/wall ... then explain it's also pretty dang annoying for kids to kick the front seatbacks when this happens ... meaning, they usually WANT their feet propped up (& there still isn't, to my knowledge, any cases of broken feet/legs from RF anyway).

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

turtlemama

I think the craziest excuse is from the guy insisting that a child will become mentally underdeveloped from rear facing because they aren't being visually stimulated enough. Come on now! Are they just making stuff up or what?

I do think some of them have a good question though and it is one I have wondered but always thought was too dumb to ask. Why not just make the whole back seats of the car rear facing? There's some way they could do that right? Stupid or not, I'm still curious about it lol.
Another thing, why not make adjustable seat belts that will fit a child or small adult? Is it that hard to just install mechanisms that do that? There could also be a mechanism that adjusts the actual seat to fit to a child, so that their legs will comfortably bend at the edge, and they wouldn't slump. So adjustable seatbelt plus adjustable seats to fit children that would normally go in a booster. Would that cost more or less than manufacturing actual booster seats? (legitimately wondering, I am not trying to be sarcastic)

Last edited:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
(& there still isn't, to my knowledge, any cases of broken feet/legs from RF anyway).

Correction, there are cases of rfing children who suffered broken legs (and arms), but in every case the other passengers in the car were critically injured or killed. Limb injury is the most common injury in car crashes.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
safeinthecar said:
Correction, there are cases of rfing children who suffered broken legs (and arms), but in every case the other passengers in the car were critically injured or killed. Limb injury is the most common injury in car crashes.

But, not *because* of RF ... I should have clarified.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

yogamommy

I commented on two mommy boards yesterday about all of the articles out. I cannot understand with all the research that is out that any parent would not try to rear face their children as long as possible. My son is nearing his 4 b-day and I am so not ready to turn him. I will give him the choice when his b-day comes. As long as he does not exceed the weight limit and he wants to stay rear facing. I will leave him there. I will continue to stand on my car seat soap box and preach safe car seat usage. I know that I have influenced many people around me and they continue to ask me for help regarding car seat choices. I so appreciate the helpfulness of this board and will continue to come here to help with my questions. I say preach car seat safety and the parents that listen will be lucky and hopefully the one that don't will drive safely.

vtbecca

I'm shocked at how many people, both commenting there and people DH and I know IRL are brushing it off. Kids will be uncomfortable, are too tall etc. Seriously?! I don't understand it. But then again I see children completely unrestrained all the time so I guess it shouldn't be all that shocking. I feel like a mutant for wanting my children to be safe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC