Should I buy a seat

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
Well I've been talking about my niece for a week now shes here in a recalled alpha omega the lube isn't going to get here in time and my step brother doesn't care. I'm not comfortable using this seat at all but don't have a ton of money to spare...I know there is a scerena at walmart for 39 (the one at target is 50)...and there are some evenflo tributes at sears on clearance....I know that seat won't last long for her I was planning on keeping it for my godbaby thats going to be born in june. She is a teeny 24lbs and was turned FF at 8 months old :eek: I was tempted to try to RF her when she was in the car with me but i'm afraid if she goes home shes gonna be like turn me back around and my brother would flip his stuff on me. Shes 2years 10 months

ADS

andre149

How tall is she? If she fits in the scenera by height I would pick one up since it will get more use down the road. Otherwise just check her harness adjuster every time and make sure she doesn't play with the strap. Honestly, I wouldn't buy a more expensive seat to rf her for the short time you have her, but if she fits in the scenera rf I say go for it... Your car your rules lol.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
How tall is she? If she fits in the scenera by height I would pick one up since it will get more use down the road. Otherwise just check her harness adjuster every time and make sure she doesn't play with the strap. Honestly, I wouldn't buy a more expensive seat to rf her for the short time you have her, but if she fits in the scenera rf I say go for it... Your car your rules lol.

Wow thats exactly what i said...Oh I know she'll fit in the scerena she has like 8 or 9 inches above in the AOE..Shes a short little thing and she will fit RF. Do you think I should spend the extra 10 dollars for the 5lbs?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As a caregiver of parents who are sometimes not CPS-concerned, I definitely understand wanting to keep a child you love dearly as safe as possible. I get twitchy thinking about how some of the kids ride when they're not with me. I'm not terribly good at it, but after I've educated the parents (in this case your parents and brother,) and they've stated or illustrated that they don't care, I have learned to let it rest. All you can do is keep her as safe as possible in your car, which in this case means check the harness before EVERY ride. If you want to RF her, then RF her. It's your car, your rules. But conversely, you have to respect that it's *their* car and *their* rules... even though it sucks sometimes. :twocents:

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
Ok I just realized her seat was manufactured in april of 2008 the recall does not apply to hers except the harness pulled out with out me touching the harness adjuster. I already ordered the lube and a tech kit for our carseat checks.

I called dorel and she couldn't give me a straight answer except that to use the lube? But i'm sure there are more seats affected then

DaniChildcare

If the harness pulled out, i'd be getting the 40 dollar seat and be done with it.

I don't care how much i would "check the straps" if a kid is riding in my car, the recalled seat isn't. I'd be a nervous wreck.

I'd be bluntly honest with your brother and tell him that her seat was recalled, she could fly out and die because the harness doesn't stay tight, and you weren't driving her like that. Here's a new seat, if you wouldn't mind giving me 20 dollars to cover half the seat, that'd be great.

(i'm not terribly blunt when it comes to other stuff, but i've done something similar with good friends of mine (those over the head bar harness things) I was watching their son, and wouldn't drive him in one of those things (not to include it didn't fit in my care anyways!)

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
It just blows my mind that the seat isn't even under the dates specified for the recall meaning there are a WHOLE lot more out there!

I just got a 20% off coupon for babiesrus in my email do they sell a scerena there?

andre149

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a Scenera at BRU... but they have other Dorel seats, so maybe I just missed it?

I wouldn't mush rf in someone else's car at her age either, I was under the impression that they were riding in op's car... if it's someone else's car and they want her ff I wouldn't push it.

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
Well theres not a scerena at bru but there is an onside air...she had 3 or 4 inches of shell height above her head...I forgot to take pics... I took her in my car with the AOE...I adjusted her straps and put the foot prop up (which was down and FF) I didn't have any problems with the harness coming lose today and checked it everytime I put her in. Its sad though she is so used to having the straps loose that she said it was choking her (nowhere near it)

also her Top tether is missing? I need a picture to see where it should go the latch straps are missing too but I don't have latch so thats not a problem but no top tether I didn't even think you could take it off

and she was in my car

Last edited:

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
The first time shes every had her straps right!

Dayla.jpg

her mom has an issue with her face being posted on the internet

T4K

eyeslkethesky5391 said:
It just blows my mind that the seat isn't even under the dates specified for the recall meaning there are a WHOLE lot more out there!

I just got a 20% off coupon for babiesrus in my email do they sell a scerena there?

If it's the coupon for today, carseats aren't eligible. And anything else I would consider buying at BRU isn't eligible either ;-)

eyeslkethesky5391

Senior Community Member
If it's the coupon for today, carseats aren't eligible. And anything else I would consider buying at BRU isn't eligible either ;-)

it doesn't say anything about carseats not being eligible...it just says certain brands like britax, combi...I just decided not to buy a seat I really don't have an extra 40 dollars and shes only going to be here until saturday and My brother wouldn't use the new seat anyway.

http://view.ed4.net/v/B2O8ID/B6D1N/...csu=1316303&camp=CME:20110322_Em_RRU_MSE20PCT

heres a link feel free to print and use

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC