Is there a place to find a free car seat?

Brianna

I'm in shock right now- I just found out my friend lost her daughter's car seat in an accident- it didn't go through insurance so there's no replacement. The girl just turned 2 and she's driving her around in just a seat belt. She also has a 5 year old boy in just a seat belt.

She has no job and no money to buy seats for them, is there anywhere that I can help her find a free car seat for her daughter and booster for her son?

ADS

T4K

Do you live near her? Do you have the money to loan or gift her a $40 Cosco scenera (sp?) and a $30 Evenflo HBB from walmart?

If you don't live near her maybe you can do site to store shipping from Walmart?

Brianna

I'm in the Buffalo, NY area.

I have no Safe Kids coalition near me, they recommended I try the NHSTA, which pointed me to my local state police station.

Pixels

Judi, I think the booster suggestion was for the 5yo. I missed that child the first time reading, too.

hrice

Is Safe Riders national? Here they provide seats after you attend a one hour class.

Otherwise could you afford a $40 Scenera for the 2 yr old? A HBB is ideal for the 5year old but a LBB is acceptable and certainly safer than nothing. They are $14 at Wal Mart.

I have a Scenera just sitting in my garage getting no use. I had loaned it to a friend and her 4 yr old outgrew it. It is accident free and clean. You can have it FFS. I am guessing it would be $15-20 to ship. 2008 DOM.

Pixels

Clarence state police
Town of OP PD
Those are the two in Erie County. Check with the state police station first, as towns often only serve residents of their own town (unless she happens to live in OP).

Contact info and more stations in other counties here.

T4K

Pixels said:
Judi, I think the booster suggestion was for the 5yo. I missed that child the first time reading, too.

Yeah I would prefer harness but I figured booster was better than seatbelt.

Brianna

Well if I could get her usable seats for $60 or so I guess I could suck it up and take the hit for her once... I just hope the word doesn't get around that I'm such a sucker.

So if I'm going to be the one picking them out- would it be better to get her daughter the Cosco High Back Booster? I see it has a harness limit of 40 pounds and then can be used as a HBB.

Kobain's Mommy

Is she on WIC? I know here a few of the WIC offices give seats to families that either the seats are expired, not using a seat, or have improper seats.

Brianna

No she's not. I have no clue why she isn't- she'd qualify by all means though. I think they just have food stamps.

SignCuer

No don't get her the Cosco High Back Booster... the harness is outgrown notoriously early, around age 2-3.. which is nowhere near mature age for boostering, Scenera is much better if you can swing it.

Angela

2 year old - Scenera, get it from Target if you can since theirs are the only scenera's with a 40 rf limit

5 year old - personally I'd probably just go with a booster (preferably hbb, but if you can't swing the money, go with the lbb). I don't like the Cosco high back boosters. It won't last many kids very long.

Brianna

Don't the Scenera and the HBB have the same top harness height?

She was completely OK with letting her 2 year old ride without a seat at all- I really don't picture her going to buy another seat to make sure that she harnesses to at least 4 and 40. That was my thinking in considering the HBB, so that at least she'd have a booster to use when the harness is outgrown.

Shaunam

You could also do an evenflo chase for just a little more than the scenera, it has slightly higher slots, although the harness it more likely to be misused. It thought the cosco harnessed booster had the same slot height as the scenera too.

jjordan

Here is the list of who got traffic safety grants from the state of NY for this year. The listings for Erie County are on pages 5-6. In particular, Erie County Office of Traffic Safety got a grant for child passenger safety, so give them a call. Likely at least some of their funding is to provide seats. I'm having trouble finding a phone number for that office, so I'd probably try the sheriff's office (858-7608) and go from there.

NM, found the info about the Erie Co office of traffic safety:
Captain James L. Michel
Chairman, Erie County Office of Traffic Safety
City of Lackawanna Police Dept., 714 Ridge Road, Lackawanna, NY 14218
Phone: 716-822-4900 Fax: 716-827-6676

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC