A bit frustrated at the new rf recs

cpsaddict

I am all for rf until 2, so I do support the recommendation. However, the whole, if the hit the height/weight limit before 2, buy a new seat. Um, what about those that can't afford a new seat? So, say someone comes to me and asks what to do with their 37lb 21mth old. I just say, "oh, you have to buy a new seat. Period." I just don't see how that would work. Even those that can afford it are going to be resistant to doing so.
I am also frustrated because DD is 34lbs nakey and riding in a 35lb Marathon. I turned her the other day at 23mths. Could I buy a new seat? Maybe(ha, not at the moment, but maybe in a couple months), but I am not comfortable with any of the seats that would take her longer. I won't use a CA or Radian. Besides the weight thing, she is 1.5-2" from the top of her classic MA. Not too many seats will buy her any more height room. She's too tall for the Scenera, too. For now, she is still rf in her MA70, but that will be short-lived due to height. She wears 2T pants and 4T:)eek:) shirts. I really don't see how I would anticipate my not quite two year old hitting the weight/height limit so soon. :confused: She was tiny at birth and through infancy. Anyway, it's not about me. I am fine with my choice. It's those who simply cannot afford to just go buy new seats who are basically told there is no other safe way to transport their child.
Sigh....I am rather hormonal today. :eek:

ADS

Brianna

I think the pros outweigh the cons in the new recs. I think it's great that they ditched the very mention of 1 & 20, and hopefully going forward parents of small children will buy high weight limit convertibles so there is no need to buy a 2nd convertible.

cpsaddict

I think the pros outweigh the cons in the new recs. I think it's great that they ditched the very mention of 1 & 20, and hopefully going forward parents of small children will buy high weight limit convertibles so there is no need to buy a 2nd convertible.

Oh, I totally agree that ditching the 1/20 is the way to go. I am just frustrated for those that cannot afford another seat. I really wanted DD to get to 2. Currently, our budget is as tight as a banjo string this month and next. :eek: Even if I could get DH on board, food and medical bills take precedence.

christineka

The recommendations state that children should rear-face to age 2 or as long as they fit in the rear-facing seat. The vast majority of children can rear-face to 2 in the cheapo cosco scenera. For those who outgrow the seat, and the parents can't afford a radian xtsl, it is a reasonable choice to ff whenever the child outgrows the seat rear-facing. (I, however would investigate ways to make money so that I've done all I could.)

TerisBoys

If such a suggestion arises, you simply explain that these are best-practice recommendations, and they need to do whatever is possible within their means. If they must FF, then talk them through what they can do to make their child safest in a FF seat (top tethered, harness in appropriate slots, harness tightness, etc).

The best seat is the one that fits vehicle, child, and budget, and can be used properly every trip. MOST kids should be able to get to 2 in a 35# RF seat. And like the PP said, hopefully with the new recommendations people WILL look at 40# RF seats when they're getting ready to move out of a bucket.

As for you, you're doing the best you can. You got your child to a safeR age than if you'd turned her at 1 year. Don't beat yourself up!

all together ooky

I'm hoping that with these new recommendations that there will be more seats made that will accomodate children rear-facing longer. There will be more inexpensive choices. It may take a few years though.

Kyras_Mama

I'm hoping that with these new recommendations that there will be more seats made that will accomodate children rear-facing longer. There will be more inexpensive choices. It may take a few years though.

Yeah, that. Hopefully the new recs will eventually eliminate most of the seats that are likely to not get the vast majority of kiddos to age two.

soccer_widow

I took it more as "if your child outgrows their infant seat before age 2, put them in a RF convertible rather than going straight to FF." I guess I took it like that because MOST people I know don't even consider using their convertible car seats for RF. they go straight from the infant seat to FF.

Baylor

Maybe this is simple minded so I hope it is okay..

But I always assumed I would need 3 seats for my child. A bucket, A convertible and a booster. To me this means that people may now take notice of RFing limits and get seats with higher ones and may then have more companies making more that RF to 45lbs? One can hope right?

hrice

soccer_widow said:
I took it more as "if your child outgrows their infant seat before age 2, put them in a RF convertible rather than going straight to FF." I guess I took it like that because MOST people I know don't even consider using their convertible car seats for RF. they go straight from the infant seat to FF.

This.

jess71903

Ambassador
That kid who outgrows all feesible options is no different than the heavy new 4 year old whose parents can't afford a Nautilus. They either come up with the money, or do the next best thing, and booste4r a kid who's probably not quite ready. It's not great, but it is what it is.

Chely7425

I feel for the parents who WANT to do what is best (aka RF past 2) but can not afford to. We were in that position with my oldest, he was 32 pounds naked at 1 and in a 33 pound RF seat. He was FF for awhile until we could afford a suitable seat to turn him back around.

Mommy0608

My concern is that a parent with an 11 month old outgrowing an infant seat will move to a FF-only seat, because the recommendation is to RF until age 2 OR when the child outgrows his "rear-facing seat." It doesn't say anything about the type of seat used (like if an infant seat is outgrown, move to a rear-facing convertible).

Kat_Momof3

when they say buy a new seat, in most cases, what they're referring to is an INFANT carseat... one that only goes to 22-35lbs, depending on the seat.

the key is to buy the seat that fits your child, your car, your budget, and can AND will be used and installed correctly every time.

the seats that rearface to 40-45lbs are still VERY new... and getting ANY kid of ANY age rearfacing to 35lbs is NO small achievement.

You do the best you can with the seats you have and the size your children are. Most 2yr olds are not as big as yours... I've been there... My second son was 30lbs at 1yr old...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC