AWESOME Chicago Tribune article on ERF

ADS

mommycat

I really wanted to torture myself with the comments but IE keeps giving me a "cannot display the webpage" message. The only way I could read the article was by hitting Print before it crashed and reading the print view version. :( It's a really great article, though! :thumbsup: I saved a copy for reference.

kandamom

I came across that article earlier this morning and was wondering if that third comment was from someone here...:D (I grew up in the Chicago area, so I still like to follow the news there.)

I don't know if I realized that tests for rf seats with heavier children are not as rigorous. I might have known that at one point, but forgot.

Hopefully, doctors will encourage people to follow the new recommendations. When I brought ds2 in for his 9 month check-up three years ago, the drs office was still handing out information that said you could turn a baby before one and 20 pounds.:mad: (Yes, I said something.) When ds1 was little, I really had no clue. I WISH someone would have told me back then.

Baylor

Today and Early morning show did a segment on it. I did not see Early shows but Today's was pretty good. Just a little unclear on when to move kids to booster but she did say at least 2 yrs ff and to limits of seat once..

I am so glad!

Chila88

Oh my....the comments! :eek: I have no words. (Except a thank you to Darren and whomever else is taking the time to be a voice of reason).

abbi_n_nadia

Great article! I posted it to FB (along with tons of others apparently :) it's been in my newsfeed over and over this morning!).

The comments on the article tho. ;( SO frustrating! How can anyone argue with an article like this?

Hollyob

Yeah, I am glad to see Darren there. I *may* go back on and see if there are any responses to me ("Roma"), but I know it will make me mad. And my b*tchy tone is probably not helping matters, but I just get so frustrated...

FWIW, a lot of the online Tribune posters sound like morons a lot of the time (I read the comments a lot). Maybe there is a small conspiracy, some group of 8 or so bitter people who have agreed to make these kinds of remarks on every story. The "nanny state" comment is made a lot. No matter what the story, someone will blame Obama, someone will say that global warming is BS, and someone will say that X wouldn't be a problem is parents still spanked their kids. It's pretty predictable. I HOPE that they don't represent the majority of Trib readers.

Dorothy

Hollyob said:
...Maybe there is a small conspiracy, some group of 8 or so bitter people who have agreed to make these kinds of remarks on every story... No matter what the story, someone will blame Obama, someone will say that global warming is BS, and someone will say that X wouldn't be a problem is parents still spanked their kids. It's pretty predictable...

LOL! This is my feeling about pretty much every comments/reviews section I've ever read. You just have to sort the rational from the irrational/pot-stirers/conspiracy theorists. ;-)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
DorothyoutofOz said:
LOL! This is my feeling about pretty much every comments/reviews section I've ever read. You just have to sort the rational from the irrational/pot-stirers/conspiracy theorists. ;-)

Yeah, I've made it a policy not to read the comment section on media websites. Like, with my local newspaper, whenever there's a car crash, people assume it must have been caused by an illegal immigrant.

Present company excluded, the people who comment there tend to be a few bulbs short if a strand.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, I just violated my own policy and read the Tribune comments (well, the first two pages were all I could stomach). That was appalling.

Hollyob

Like, with my local newspaper, whenever there's a car crash, people assume it must have been caused by an illegal immigrant.

oh yeah, I forgot that one. If anyone has a Latino last name, even if that person just saved 17 kids from a burning building, they're probably illegal and should be deported.

I know I'm about to read an idiotic comment when it starts with, "X is what is wrong with America today." Ugh.

laudymama

I did it, I read the comments on the first page after the article. I knew I shouldn't but I did and UGH! How can you read an article that clearly states factual evidence that kids under 2 are 75% less likely to die or be severely injured if RF in a crash and then make some of those comments?! There was some mention of not knowing if your child was covered in snot or vomit so FF would allow you to see this and clean them up. I bet if your young child was killed in a crash because you didn't want them to ride around temporarily covered in snot or vomit afterward you'd be wishing you had a little snotty, vomitty mess to clean up every time you get behind the wheel of a car the rest of your life.
I had to cut myself off at the first page of comments, the few I read made me angry enough to know I can't handle reading anymore!! Great article though....will be posting the link to my FB and asked DH to do the same.

cupcakepirate11

That made steam pour out of my ears! What does protecting our children in the car have to do with "babying" them?! I am all for free range parenting, but we are the parents, we know whats safe, we are the ones making the choices.

I choose to have my son rear facing till he is 4 because that is whats safest. I'm not going to argue with safety.

eddis

On a similar note... I have been following the comments on the related article in the New York Times. Does anyone recall, or have a link to, an article a while back that talked about how **not** all kids survived without car seats/ate lead paint without harm/slept on their tummies and didn't have SIDS? Basically a response to the "we survived the [30's/70's/whatever decade]" line of reasoning. I remember it as being a handy summary of all the ways that safety statistics have improved in the last 30-40 years. Thought it might be useful in responding to all the uh, un-safety-impressed out there. ;)

jess71903

Ambassador
I had to stop. It looks like comments on every other car seat article I've ever read. You can't reason with unreasonable people.

KatrinaUSC

WISTV in Columbia, SC mentioned this in their announcements on Facebook this morning... Lots of people were commenting and asking Good questions... I went back to check on it to see if I could answer any more questions and the whole thing is GONE!!  Very Not cool!! This news station is a joke anyway, but I felt people were actually listening to me while I was allowed to comment! They didn't delete my links on their main page at least!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC