What minivan should I get - Sienna or Odyssey or___???

organic_mama

I am going to sell off my 2004 Expedition and get a used minivan around the same year or a bit newer, but definately not new. I only will have about $20K to spend and I would like to get a fully loaded van.

I am interested in:
Toyota Sienna
and
Honda Odyssey

They are ranked continually the best on Consumer reports. Does anyone have any advice for why I should pick one of the other?
Also, does anyone know if a carseat can go on and be latched to that little middle seat in the second row. The seat that you can pick up and literally move to a closer position right up behind the front to seats??? That would be such a nice thing if I can!

ADS

organic_mama

Wow thanks so much! Sorry still new on here...getting use to thanks...but thank you very kindly for your help!

I those threads does anyone mention the middle seat in the second row?

lovinwaves

Wow thanks so much! Sorry still new on here...getting use to thanks...but thank you very kindly for your help!

I those threads does anyone mention the middle seat in the second row?

Yes, I believe several of them do.

If those threads don't answer your questions please let me know :) Don't want you to leave without getting your questions answered :thumbsup:

Several member on this Forum have Odysseys..and also Sienna's

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't think you can go wrong with either of those vehicles. They are both solidly great vehicles.

I am a HUGE Honda fan, with Toyota being my #2 favorite, so I don't think I will be much help. Sorry!

I do offer moral support, though. Best of luck to you!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd skip the 2005 Odyssey...it's the only one that ONLY has one top tether in the third row... up till 2004 you can add 2 more back there, and 2006 has three, but 2005 has one, can't add more. (Sorry, didn't read too much of the other posts, but I just wanted to toss that tidbit out there :))

sirrahn

Also, does anyone know if a carseat can go on and be latched to that little middle seat in the second row. The seat that you can pick up and literally move to a closer position right up behind the front to seats??? That would be such a nice thing if I can!

Only the Sienna has the middle seat that can be moved all the way up to the front seats. It has an integrated shoulder belt (doesn't come way down from the ceiling) and full LATCH attachments for a car seat. The center seat in the Ody is just a small jump seat...no tether or LATCH and it's much narrower. HTH!

Last edited:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
:yeahthat:

Just wanted to add the '04 and newer 8-passenger Sienna models have the "front and center" second row seat feature. 7-passenger models don't, but 7-passenger models do have the capability to move the second row passenger side captain's chair over to the center, effectively making it a second row center seat. The passenger side second row captain's chair can also be moved to the second row center position in the Odyssey.

Have fun van shopping.

lynsgirl

As mentioned above, the "front and center" seat in the 2nd row of the 8 passenger Sienna has lower anchors, a top tether anchor and a seat-integrated seat belt. I've installed an infant seat, a FF Marathon and a Regent on that seat and done 3-across with 2 Regents and a RF MA, with the Regent on that seat. I can't really think of any seat that *wouldn't* work on there, size-wise. Happy van shopping! I love my van and I think you really won't go wrong with either the Odyssey or Sienna. :)

twokidstwodogs

We have an 05 Odyssey, which we love. (We have only two kids, one of whom is in a booster, so the lack of extra top tethers in the third row doesn't bother us.) But some friends of ours just bought a Kia Sedona over an Odyssey. They brought it over when they were test driving it, and we compared them side-by-side. The Odyssey had a few more bells and whistles, but not many. And the Sedona does better on www.informedforlife.org. My friend is pregnant with her third, so she will have one in the third row. She really liked the better rear impact scores on the Sedona.

So check out the Sedona too, if you haven't already.

Edited to add: Sorry--you mentioned a used car. I don't know what an 06 Sedona sells for, but it's probably less than an 05 Odyssey, or even an 04 Sienna.

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This thread is perfect for me!

We are trying to decide what to get in addition to the Suburban for the 5 kids. I'm thinking I would like to go back to a minivan and DH take the Suburban.

Chameleon

I just wanted to say that I have an 05 Sienna 8 seater, and I love it! We used the front and center for my DS when he was a baby. I don't move it up anymore, but I love everything else about it.

lovinwaves

Only the Sienna has the middle seat that can be moved all the way up to the front seats.

But...You can also slide the passenger side captain's chair to the middle position in the Odyssey and slide it forward as well. It may not come up as far, but it is still possible to have a captain's chair centered with the option to slide forward and backward ;)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Choosing between the Sienna and the Oddy is a tough decision for sure!! They are both great vans and offer some great things. In my opinion it comes down to what you are looking for...more luxury or more sporty-ness. When we were van shopping we went with the Sienna (limited) because it offered options that the Honda was not availble with. We got the Sienna for the xenon headlights (huge deal maker for us they are so much nicer then traditional headlights), laser cruise, wood grain interior accents...oh and I liked the way the rear captains chairs folded in the Sienna better then the Oddy. And the 1 top tether was so not cool with me...:thumbsdown:
They both have a very different ride...one is tight and sporty(the Oddy) and the other is a nice, softy...almost lofty ride.
Good luck with your decision and try not to think about it too much! :p

tchrgrrl

We have an 05 Odyssey, which we love. (We have only two kids, one of whom is in a booster, so the lack of extra top tethers in the third row doesn't bother us.) But some friends of ours just bought a Kia Sedona over an Odyssey. They brought it over when they were test driving it, and we compared them side-by-side. The Odyssey had a few more bells and whistles, but not many. And the Sedona does better on www.informedforlife.org. My friend is pregnant with her third, so she will have one in the third row. She really liked the better rear impact scores on the Sedona.

So check out the Sedona too, if you haven't already.

Edited to add: Sorry--you mentioned a used car. I don't know what an 06 Sedona sells for, but it's probably less than an 05 Odyssey, or even an 04 Sienna.
:thumbsup: I had a new 2006 Odyssey and after a major accident I replaced it with a new 2006 Kia Sedona - for $10k less. It is very likely you could find a new Sedona for $20k.

sirrahn

But...You can also slide the passenger side captain's chair to the middle position in the Odyssey and slide it forward as well. It may not come up as far, but it is still possible to have a captain's chair centered with the option to slide forward and backward ;)

I said "all the way up to the front seats".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC