Question Very unsafe. What would you do/say?

#1babysitter

I babysit for a family with a 2 yo and 9 yo. I meet the mom at the 9 yo's dance practice to get the 2 yo. He is rear facing in my car in a Complete Air. His mom knows I have him rear facing and is fine with it because it's my car so my rules and he's happy with it. I knew she wasn't car seat savy but I recently became aware of how un-educated she is on car seat safety when I saw how she buckles him in his car seat in her car. She has an Evenflo Chase in the center position of her back seat. It is not installed like it should be since it leans to one side a lot. I had thought she always buckled him in properly and that she just didn't install the seat as tight as it could be but she doesn't buckle him in like she should. She only buckles the chest clip and not the crotch buckle! And she doesn't tighten the harness since the Chase doesn't have the regular pull strap tightener it has the thing on the actual harness. In my car one time he pushed the chest clip down and put his arms through the harness and was able to lean forward a bit so in her car I bet he could completely escape from his seat if he hasn't already, and get seriously injured. When I first started babysitting for them and realized he was forward facing I was going to talk to her about rear facing him but after seeing how she installs her seat I gave up on trying that. But this is just very un-safe for everyone riding in the car as he could cause his mom to get in an accident. Should I say something to her? What should I say? I think if she had a better car seat with the regular pull strap tightener it would be a lot easier. I am thinking of recommending the Evenflo Maestro since he has a long torso and it's cheaper but I knows she's not going to get it. I bet he will be in a booster at 2.5-3 years old.

ADS

icnee

You could say somthing like did you know those chest clips are supposed to break in a crash. and then go by her reaction for what other info you could offer I wouldnt bother recomending a different seat cause that just might turn her off to listening to you.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
FYI, chest clips aren't "supposed" to break in a crash, though it's ok if they do because they aren't intended to restrain the child. Maybe mention to her that the chest clip is only there to help keep the harness in the correct position.

Kat_Momof3

I'd offer to help her "figure out" her seat... show her the easy knee-in-seat trick to install.. then show her how to easily adjust the harness... and let her know why it's so important to buckle the chest clip.

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
Just mention it next time she drops him off with you. With families I'm comfortable with I'd say as she takes him out "oops, looks like your car seat came loose! Here, let me fix it" and then give her the kid and fix it without waiting for an answer. Lol. Don't put any blame on her. And then put him in and adjust it to him, making sure you comment on how important it is to buckle properly. Like your talking to the kid.

Mom-of-Two

"I" would say something, YES! :) That's no little oops, she does not buckle the kid!!!

I have a friend ( the mom of my 6yo's best school friend) that is into car seat safety like me, BUT does not have her seats quite right- her girls are 5 (almost 6) and 7 and are harnessed in Nautiluses, however they are tall girls (98%) and the straps are coming from below their shoulders, on the top slots. When my 6yo was getting into their van I noticed this and just said in a nice way, something like oh no, your girls must be getting too tall for their pink seats!" She said she never realized b/c they buckle themselves in and out- I showed her what I meant, and that the harness was outgrown, she also does not have them in tight enough, their harness straps are way too loose. After showing her those things, she was happy to know the info, nothing weird or anything to be upset about, and I was able to help her check the fit of the Nautilus as a booster, it actually fits her 5yo really well b/c she is bigger/stockier than the 7yo. however she does not yet feel comfortable with them in boosters so she is looking into other options.

On the other hand, trying to convince my SIL of proper car seat usage is another story!!!!! :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC