? marathon v. boulevard rf in center w/boulevard ff on side

U

Unregistered

we currently have two britax wizards (one each for 1m ds and 3y dd). my parents are moving to town, so we're getting a second set of carseats.

we'll put the new seats in the rear of our 2000 honda crv, and we'd like the most space for a third person to sit with the kids in the back (babe rf in center, dd forward on side).

will the marathon or decathalon for ds rf in the center (next to an open seat and a ff boulevard) give us more space for the open seat than another boulevard while providing the same safety protection?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They're the same shell, so I don't think one seat over another in either position will get you anything.

If you can, it's safer to put the baby outboard and the FFing child in the middle. Definitely be open to trying out that way too, having a FFing in the middle and RFing outboard. If you did that I'd do a blvd outboard at least.

Wendy

S

scbegonias

wendy, thanks for the respnse! one question. our 2000 crv had to be retrofitted for the hooks to hold the over head ff tethers. there are only two in the car...on the sides on the ceiling. can we put a seat ff in the center and use one of these tether anchors. (this is why dd is currently ff on the side.) the tether would then be at an angle. i'm at a loss...didn't want to install it wrong, but think it might work bc the tether for our car seat tech installed rf seat is at an angle. thanks!

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
RF tethering and FF tethering generally has different rules because of the different crash forces.

For FF, the tether generally should be within 20 degrees of the seat, so no, I probably wouldn't use the outboard anchor for a seat installed in the center. IMO, I'd keep the FF child outboard with a tether.

sixboys

What about a Blvd FF outboard tethered, and a Roundabout RF in the center? The shell on a Roundabout is a bit smaller than the Blvd/DC/MA shell and might be more forgiving to a 3rd passenger in the backseat.

It does only go until 40 pounds, but by the time your infant reaches the weight limit on the Roundabout, your 3 year old may be outgrowing the Blvd. anyway and need a high back booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC