Unrealistic to think I'll get to 4 y.o. RF?

My dd's stats are current in my signature. She is 2 yrs, 6 1/2 months, riding in a radian 65.
Even my friends who ERF their kids are telling me that it is unrealistic to think she can RF until she's 4.
Yet I am seeing a lot of ppl on this board who have 4 & 5 year old RF. DD (to me) seems a lot shorter than many of her playmates.

I am NOT crazy, right?
Anyone who remembers how big their kid was at 2 1/2 and then how big they were when they had to turn them? She just seems like such little thing when I compare her to her playmates. But, maybe I am comparing her to huge kids...

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
You are not crazy. The little boy (L) I watch was pretty close to your DD's size. You can totally make it. L's older sister M is 5 and 35 lbs. Still RFing in my car.

Ali

At 2 years old - DD was 35in and 28lbs

At 3 years old - DD was 36 1/2 in and 31.8 lbs

At 4 years old - DD was 40 in and 37.2 lbs

At 5 years old - DD was 42 1/2 in and 42.2 lbs

At 6 yeras old - DD was 44 1/4 in and 45 lbs

She went FF permanently at 3 1/2 years in her 33lb RF limit MAs.

Based on her stats she could have totally been RF in a Radian until at least age 5. Unfortunately that seat (with the 45 lbs RF limit wasn't out until right before she turned 5).

nmb

I think there's a good chance you'll make.
DS was 30" and 29 lbs at 12 mos (big boy, and longer torso); he RF'd in his Radian til 41 mos. and probably could've gone a bit more, but he was about 39.5 lbs, in a 40 lb rf seat (and close to the height limit but had a bit more room to grow).
So if your DD is that little at 2.5, she has plenty of room to grow in the next year & a half without having to turn around. :thumbsup:

fyrfightermomma

E was 39" and 20 lbs at 2.5. I turned on her bday at size 4t shirt, 4 yrs old and 43" and 23 lbs. She was in a radian and has 2-3" above her head

S was 36 lbs and 34" at 2.5. She turned at 3.5, 39", 39 lbs and 4 shirt. She had 3 inches above her head in her XT

AtTheSouthDam

That is the size of DD2 at that age and she made it RF to 4.5 years in a RN80. She hit 39# in December and dropped and hovered. She's was 38# last time I weighed her a month ago but since we got the ProSport I stopped and just flipped her DH's car as well so I wouldn't have to worry about it.
She probably would have last longer had we not finally figured what we need to do to get the child to eat :rolleyes:

babyherder

I hope that when I have kids I can rear face them until 5. I won't be too upset if I can't/don't but I don't think its unrealistic to try to get to age 4.

Shaunam

DS was 28 lbs and ~37" at 2 1/2. He's only 44 lbs at 6. He's probably too tall to rf in a radian now, but I'm sure he would have fit past 5, by both height AND weight. And he's not little by any means.

He fit rf'ing by height and weight in a medium sized convertible (evenflo triumph advance) until 3 1/2. Other seats would have lasted us much longer.

My DD is smaller, at 3 1/2 she's 36" and 28 lbs. She has loads of room to grow in many seats.

It's not unrealistic at all. Maybe your friends just haven't seen what a rf'ing 4 year old actually looks like? If their kids are all young and/or they haven't seen something like a radian or complete air in real life, maybe they just can't picture it.

abigaylebelle

I think she'll make it. My ds was only slightly shorter than your dd and he can still rf in lots of seats at age 4. I suppose for people who are not accustomed to seeing 4 and 5 year olds ride rf it would be strange but it is certainly do-able.
My ds was 25lb/33" at age 2 (10.5" torso)
32lb/36" at age 3 (11" torso)
32lb/38" at age 4 (12" torso)
I turned him in his 33lb rf roundabout since he's so close to the weight limit but he does actually fit by height. We haven't had to turn him in the blvd70 or the signo g2 but I'm not going to buy any more seats to rf in once these are outgrown.

Leighsah

I think my son is easily going to make it to four and there was a time I didn't think he would make it to three (he is now three years, seven months old). He is about 34 lbs and 40 1/2 tall (ALL torso) and still has a few inches between the top of of his head and the top of the shell.

icnee

My DD2 was simular to your DDs size and she fit Rfing in the CA til just about 5yo when she went over the weight limit but she plenty of shell abov her head and the MT also has a 25" she and she is still RFing that with another 1 1/2" ish before she reaches the top of it. she 5y 4mo so I really think your Dd will make it to 4 if not longer I dont have my XTSL any more but I think my DD2 would still just barly fit in it. Depending on the recline angle)

armywife12

I can't see your siggy but my son was about 39 inches and 37-38 lbs at 2.5 yrs old. He is now just over 3.5 yrs old, about 42 inches and 44lbs so he would have to go ff right about now. I hated my xtsl so I chose to ditch that seat and ff him about three months ago. For most kiddos, 4 yrs old rf is pretty realistic with the seats available today.

babygirlsmom1005

Not crazy, Madeline rear faced until she was 5 (and still can if she takes her shoes off - she's 5 1/2 now), but with shoes she's too close for my comfort for the 40 lbs limit on the RNXT.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
My dd just turned 4 last week. She's about 31 pounds, 37" She still has room in the EFTA and TONS of room in the Radian65. I think you'll make it.

My ds however, is already 35" and 26 pounds (at least) at only 21 months. I doubt we'll make it to 4 with him, I'm hoping for 3.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Uh, yeah, if it would get a little more upright my kid with an 18 inch torso would still fit RF in the Radian. :)

amp

My DS just turned 4, he is 39", 33lbs. ERF'ing in a RN and comfortable! I think you'll make it :)

Jennifer mom to my 7

Uh, yeah, if it would get a little more upright my kid with an 18 inch torso would still fit RF in the Radian. :)

Told ya :)

OP, you have a radian, that is I think the tallest rear facing seat on the market. You have a lightweight child. My ds was close to 33 pounds when I got the radian xtsl (45 pound rf limit) when he was just shy of 3. Average sized little boy, longer torsoed. He is still rear facing at 4 (January) at 40 pounds and around 41 inches.

Funny, just had a small discussion at bru with the salesguy... after dh asked me about the seat he is in. I said they don't sell it here. Bru guy said what seat, I said, radian xtsl, by sunshine kids, rear faces to 45 pounds. He said, I have never seen a sunshine kids seat. Then about 30 seconds later, he says... 45 pounds? That's a 4 year old! I said I know, my 4 year old is still rear facing:love:

This guy isn't too bad. He seems to try to stay on top of his new products.

Yoshi

My DD was 40 lbs at 4 years old. But at that time (2007) there were no seats that RF'd past 35 lbs which she would have surpassed at age 3.

Unfortunately, she was forward facing since 13 months because it was common mis-knowledge to do so and I didn't find this place until years later.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC