My Britax covers Idea...hehe

Yoshi

I just had a thought- imagine if Britax did what furniture manufacturers do...that is offer the seat shell, and then you customize it from hundreds of swatches that they have and then you get your seat shipped to you (like a custom sofa, LOL!) Every seat could be customized- Regents too-boy, girl, neutral, fun, funky, etc...!!!! Then they could please (almost) all of us, hehe.....

Reactions: Ali
ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Seems like such a no-brainer, too (not to say you aren't smart for thinking it up!) :D

They used to have giant binder rings in stores with the belly pads so you could really get a good feel of what the fabric was like without the store having to display the entire seat...seems like everyone would win if they just sold the shell and cover 'on demand', and stores could just keep that big supply of belly pads for testers :)

Lara

LOL! I was talking to my mom about covers the other day and she said they should do the same thing! But, there should be some that aren't custom that cost a bit less.

southpawboston

great idea, but the reason it's not done is COST. that would make production much more limited, and would drive the cost up. they probably figure that few people would bother to custom order, and it would still drive the price up for everyone else. they would sell fewer seats in the end and lose business.

people still do it with home furniture because they're investing thousands of dollars into furniture that may last 20 years. i sure wish we could do that with cars. i'd love a deep burgandy leather interior :).

Yoshi

great idea, but the reason it's not done is COST. that would make production much more limited, and would drive the cost up. they probably figure that few people would bother to custom order, and it would still drive the price up for everyone else. they would sell fewer seats in the end and lose business.

people still do it with home furniture because they're investing thousands of dollars into furniture that may last 20 years. i sure wish we could do that with cars. i'd love a deep burgandy leather interior :).
I disagree- perhaps with "dozens" and not "hundreds" (like I originally said;) )of choices, they would be able to produce enough covers quickly enough for people who do want to custom order. It's just the covers that need to be ordered- I know I would- if my kid had a choice, she'd certainly pick something cuter than Sahara or even the new Madison Regent (yuk-pukey, IMO). PLUS, they do not need to stock as many in stores, so they could keep the profit margin higher anyway.

LuvBug

if its just dozens then how is it different if they just go ahead and make up the covers for the seats and sell them... like they do now?
their problem is they just need a design team of parents who have taste lol! and to make ALL the options available on all the seats instead of these for this model these for that model...

broken4u05

if its just dozens then how is it different if they just go ahead and make up the covers for the seats and sell them... like they do now?
their problem is they just need a design team of parents who have taste lol! and to make ALL the options available on all the seats instead of these for this model these for that model...

Yes they need more options on all their seats not just the MA

Yoshi

Well, first of all, this was just a silly idea of mine- I don't even own a Britax seat anymore (see my siggy) But the difference would be that you would just buy the seat you want, instead of hunting around and "settling" for a cover you don't like, and then buy an extra cover. Problem is, Britax makes some really nice covers, and some really ugly ones, and some seats have FEW choices (Regent, BV)and this way, all seats would have equal opportunity. The end. It was just an idea, not a debate, after all;) ;)

Lara

I think that you should be able to pic the fabric for the sides of the seat, and down the middle (think cougar regent type thing). I'd get my zebra with black sides! It is just too much zebra and I think that would help.

TheRealMacGyver

Well, first of all, this was just a silly idea of mine-

I don't think it's a silly idea at all. The only real obstacle I see is that it would have to be profitable for Britax. The way to accomplish that is to charge more. The handful of stock fabrics would remain at the fair market price they are now, and the "special order" would be at a premium price and made to order, which would mean a long lead-time. They would still have to have a limited number of special order fabrics because they would have to order and stock these materials in bulk (which could sit for long periods of time as overhead). I think they could be missing the boat, but as long as they are selling seats like they are now, they probably won't seriously consider this even though there could certainly be money to make.

The aftermarket covers people have talked about here seem like a good option to me, but I think the biggest complaint from some people is that the fabric may not meet flame retardant standards. Does anyone know if fabric is rated for fire and if so, if it met the standards for carseat covers wouldn't that be good enough? (are these industry standards or government standards?)

BTW, is Britax a public company? If they are sometimes that helps motivate them to look at other ways to be more profitable.

LuvBug

Well, first of all, this was just a silly idea of mine- I don't even own a Britax seat anymore (see my siggy) But the difference would be that you would just buy the seat you want, instead of hunting around and "settling" for a cover you don't like, and then buy an extra cover. Problem is, Britax makes some really nice covers, and some really ugly ones, and some seats have FEW choices (Regent, BV)and this way, all seats would have equal opportunity. The end. It was just an idea, not a debate, after all;) ;)

Sorry:eek: I think its a great idea, its just my business side of me coming out lol! I work in an opperation that works souly on custom jobs and most of them being custom fabric jobs, and the overhead for offering so many options can get outrageous. It would make more sense for britax to just get better with their designs, offer each fabric in every model, and make sure they are readily available... otherwise it would make more sense costwise for you, to settle on one cover options and then just buy a second cover. I can totally seeing them upping the price for the custom jobs by a lot.

I think what would be awesome! is if they just sold the blank shells and then they should sell the cover packages again(with all options available on all models). That way you could customize it right there in the store and not have to wait. The only thing would be matching the straps to the covers, and the possibility someone would be stupid and use the seat without a cover all together! or buy a non-approved cover... but its a cool idea.
It would be cool if all companies did that lol!

I decided last night if they made an all laua cover for the regent I would totally get it! lol!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC