Getting close to 40 lbs at 2 1/2-Help?

Cattitude

My DH has the RN 65 SL in his car and I weighed DS yesterday, he was 38.2 lbs with clothes on. He had also just drunk a huge glass of milk :). I'm really against turning him before he turns 3 in September but DH is balking at buying another seat. I have the final say so though.

So my questions are, at this age, is it likely he is going to keep packing on these last couple of pounds? I'm really, REALLY hoping that now the warmer weather is coming and we will be more active maybe his weight gain might slow a bit ( I know that sounds horrible and of course I don't mean it like that!).

Also, what is the earliest before 3 that anyone would feel comfortable turning? He will remain RF in my car as I have the XTSL. He mostly rides with me, when he rides with DH it's usually only about a mile down our street. And yes, I know that accidents can happen a block from home too. I'm just really trying to figure out the best course of action. Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

icnee

both the 8osl and the xt sl rf to 45lbs,

the older they get the more they tend to slow down in growth but the groth and the groth spurts tend to be father apart (my kids tend to be around every 6months or so) and summer is comming so he may even lose a pound and then there will be lighter clothing too so that will help.

My DD2 was around his weight for about 2 years gaining and losing a pound or 2 and did not go over 40 pounds and stay there for more then a week until she was 5

My personal feelings for when I am comfertable turning a child FFing is no sooner then 4 but hopfully longer. and I would not be comfortble putting any kid FFing before 3. But those are my feelings.

Now of course if a 2yo child is too large for any seat that is available to him/her to Rf in then of course I would put them in a FFing seat.

April

My DS2 was 38lbs at 2.5, 42 at 3.5, and is now 44 at 4.5. I would check the weight rating on your seat though before you panic. He may have 7lbs to go and that could take years. (Hopefully that's the case).
Posted via Mobile Device

Cattitude

Cripes I meant to type 65SL and have NO idea why I put 80, I'll edit my OP.

I don't feel comfortable turning before 3 but then if he hits the 40 lbs 6 weeks before his birthday should I then just keep him out of DH's car for that time?

THe wait and see approach has been working and if worse comes to worse, Amazon ships pretty quickly. Saving grace is that we did get this seat fairly cheap. DH has been completely on board and this is the first time I've seen him waver, sigh.

hrice

I'd keep an eye on his weight. If he gains I'd get a new seat, switch vehicles when your DH has him or move the seat back and forth. I won't FF my kiddos in any vehicle before 4.

monstah

Just keep an eye on his weight and see what happens. When kids hit their plateu weight, it usually takes them a long time to start putting on just a pound or two. Fingers crossed he is at his plateau. ;)

Keeping him RF until he hits 40 pounds is awesome. I* personally wouldn't buy a new seat to keep him RF. Especially for the second car that is only used for short trips. Keeping any child rearfacing to the limit of their car seat is awesome.

There is only one (very expensive) seat sold in America that could keep him rearfacing longer and while some people here would buy it, I wouldn't even blink if someone decided not to. That choice is up to you, so make the decision that feels right for you and your family. :)

andre149

I'd keep an eye on it. P weighed in at 38 and some change at a little over two. I bought an XTSL (I wanted one anyways, it was just my excuse lol)... she's now 36lbs at a few months shy of 3yo lol.

Cattitude

Thanks everyone. I'll keep checking his weight and keeping a close eye on it. As you can see in my siggy, I do have the XTSL in my car and don't have to worry for 7 more pounds.

He was stuck at 32-33 lbs for a while and then jumped up to this weight so maybe he'll stabilize again for a bit. Hopeful anyway!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC