Best Used Minivan for under $5K?

KaliShanti

So I found out today we are expecting our third child! And so I think we're going to want to get a minivan or something like it. We do not buy on credit, so we have to save the money in cash- which will be a miracle, but I have faith. :)

Please help me create a list of desirable vans. I'm thinking we can save $3000-5000 and MIGHT get $500-$100 for DH's 98 Hombre truck.

We have a almost 4-yr old in a EFTA, and a 15 month old in a XTSL.

Advice?? What should I look for? I know NOTHING about cars.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Congratulations! :)

What do you drive now? If you have a sedan, I'd probably keep that and continue to save up for a minivan down the road, when you can get a newer or more reliable one.

KaliShanti

I drive a 2003 Hyundai Elantra and my DH drives a 98 Isuzu Hombre (both paid for). With my work being as it is, though, it's getting difficult to not have two cars that can transport the kids.

April

Ford Windstar :love:
LATCH in all rear seating positions, and 6 tether anchors. Fairly carseat friendly, very good safety ratings, reliable, and cheap to fix any issues on it. I had one that got totalled by someone rear ending me, and replaced it with another. They were made from 95-03. Just obviously check to make sure the recalls have been done, because there have been a few.
Posted via Mobile Device

Melanie

You might be pleasantly surprised at what your husband's truck brings if you sell it on your own. My friend's husband just sold the biggest POS truck for $1600. It was and old Dodge Mighty Max or something. Had a ton of miles, leaked oil, the seat moved around when you drove around corners, had a big dent in the side. It was in very rough shape. It sold the first day for full price.

We sold DH's truck on our own years ago. It was 13 years old, had lots of miles, an oil leak, check engine light was on. It did have a new (inexpensive) paint job and a seat cover so it looked good. It blue booked for $500 and we sold it for abt $2,700.

Mom2FiveGirls

We thought we were going to have around $6000 to buy a van and ended up deciding on a 2002-2003ish Grand Caravan. We ended up being able to spend more than that and got a 2007 grand caravan. I love it! :)

Rosey

The Kia Sedona is very popular, but I can't recall what year model the better safety ratings/reliability start at.

valleyfam

Another Windstar fan here. I know recalls, recalls, recalls but mine is currently at the dealer and just past inspection for the latest recall. I've taken it in for every recall and have never had a problem. We've done routine stuff oil changes, transmission flush, and did replace cv joints after 100,000+ but that's common with all front wheel drives. I've been super pleased with mine. 175,000 miles and still riding. It is super easy to install seats in and as someone mentioned 4 sets of latch, 6 anchors only thing is 3 in the back seat can be tricky but there are some combos. I have a 2001. Good luck shopping.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC