Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My CRST course in Saskatchewan.

I posted this elsewhere but then I thought I should probably post it here too and I can't think of anything new to say so it will be pretty much the same as what I already posted, lol.

We had 3 instructors for 14 people - 5 RCMP (police), 3 public health nurses, 1 rehab worker, 3 from the summer Safety Squad (youth that travel the province in a lime green van all summer long holding carseat clinics), the young guy who drives the Safety Squad float in all the parades in all the small towns all summer long and me.

They didn't go into the benefits of extended harnessing or extended rfing (at least not as much as I would have liked). Everything seemed to be about making sure people know what is the minimum for each stage.

We did do a fair bit of hands on with seats on both days. The second day they had us install seats in our vehicles and then check our installs, then they sent us in for a break and when we came out they had "creatively" installed all of the seats that they had to see if we could catch the misuse.

One AOE did not have the straps threaded over the bar correctly. I caught that one and I think it impressed the young girl I was working with (heck, I impressed myself, lol), also that I could rethread the seat harness without the manual. I wish they would have covered more of the common misuse errors specific to certain popular seats (like the AOE harness over the bar and top position only for head rest).

The course was held at the SGI (provincial insurance) salvage yard. They broke a back passenger window and back window to show us the safety glass. During the smashing they put one of the window cling sun blockers on the window and using it would possibly prevent as much glass from flying into the back seat in a crash. Detonated a driver air bag (generation 1) and passenger airbag (generation 2). Had to do them upside down so they only went about 10 feet into the air, if it hadn't been windy they would have faced them up and gone about 40 feet skyward.

I know the one thing that I am really going to have to work on is explaining everything. The instructors were impressed with how much I knew about things but I said that remembering to explain why I know it or how to do it can be hard when it is second nature to me. I also need to work on my infant seat installs...it has been way to long since I have had to worry about one.

What I was most surprised about is that Saskatchewan does not have a booster law. Reason given is that the average age of vehicles in this province is 11 years, thus a lot of lapbelts are still in use and to make it mandatory to use a booster would really be difficult for a lot of families to follow the law. They also still "recommend" a no-back, swing-arm shield booster (with the belt on the outside) as a last resort in a situation with no best solution (only lapbelts). You do have to remain harnessed to 40lbs though (and luckily we have seats that harness to 48lbs). Hopefully when the new higher weight limit comes in and approved seats are available some of this will be solved by people realizing they can harness past the current 48lbs...of course then they will have to buy another seat...and if they don't have the money in the first place...sigh.

I have to finish my exam this weekend and send it in early next week. Is the Canadian test always an open book, take home, 75 questions test?

Once I am certified I plan to volunteer at any carseat check that I am able to attend. I'll probably print up some business cards and hang out in the carseat aisle more, lol. There is a tech locator website being put in place so that people can phone for seatchecks and I will be listed on there. I will continue to annoy all my friends.

Thanks for reading!
    Jacqui ~ Rylan ~ 08.13.02 ~ 57.2lbs on 9/26/08 ~ Radian 65
    Join Starlight's Book Club, read your manuals! Car seats are cheaper than caskets & you can use them more than once. How much did your wedding cost? How long did it last? Does your child's safety seem more affordable now?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: My CRST course in Saskatchewan.

Congrats! You wouldn't happen to be in Saskatoon would you?

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by ErinEmily View Post

Erin
    I'll be in Saskatoon on Tuesday through to Monday the 21st. It's my hometown and the boys haven't seen the grandparents since Christmas!
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Erin
    Nope, I'm in Regina. I used to live an hour west of S'toon if that matters, lol. New York is Big, But this is Biggar.

Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom02 View Post
    I'll be in Saskatoon on Tuesday through to Monday the 21st. It's my hometown and the boys haven't seen the grandparents since Christmas!
    Dang, I have no reason to go to Saskatoon next week.
    Join Starlight's Book Club, read your manuals! Car seats are cheaper than caskets & you can use them more than once. How much did your wedding cost? How long did it last? Does your child's safety seem more affordable now?

Quote Originally Posted by JaRylan View Post
    Dang, I have no reason to go to Saskatoon next week.
    Make one up! We'll be at the lake on Wed/Thurs (supposed to be 24 degrees and sunny!) and then back to town until Monday.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Have you ever installed a Radian?

Erin

Have you ever installed a Radian?

Erin
    I own two of them! Do you need some help?
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

I own two of them! Do you need some help?
    I have just bought one for my son. It is installed now in the 3rd row centre of my 2005 Uplander. I am not 100% certain of the install and even less so of the install in the captain's chair.

I would love some help.

Erin

I have just bought one for my son. It is installed now in the 3rd row centre of my 2005 Uplander. I am not 100% certain of the install and even less so of the install in the captain's chair.

I would love some help.

Erin
    PM me and we can figure out a time to meet.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

PM me and we can figure out a time to meet.
    Double dang, now you have a carseat playdate!

Common JRylan! Isn't meeting Jen and i enough of a reason? I will be there too, and we were just talking about making a lunch date with my SIL. You could be another person at luch offering friendly advice on which seat she should buy for DS.
    I LOVE your Biggar comment! That's hilarious! Ryan and I will be moving to Osler this summer, so we'll be close then! I wish I could come up with a snazzy phrase like that for Osler, or better yet, Warman, since that is where we will live after we build our house. But no worries about this weekend, we'll just have to make a plan for us all to meet after I move out there, cause then Jen will have one more reason to visit, EVEN IF HER PARENTS ARE OUT OF TOWN!!! (get the hint Jen?)

Erin- Are you in S'toon? Where in S'toon?
    Last edited by Loves2sing; 05-15-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: ADD
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

Yes, I am in Sasktoon. I am in the Wildwood area. Near the Centre Mall.

I think I know where that is. I am not great with the areas in S'toon yet, as I grew up in Calgary. The mall reference definatley helps though! I have been there to the Rainbow Cinema many times. Right mall? Though I haven't been there since my daughter was born, for the movies anyway.

Did you get a hold of Jen? Are you meeting with her? If not, you can Pm me you phone #, and I can pass it along to her.
    Last edited by Loves2sing; 05-15-2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: ADD
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

Yeah, I got a hold of her. Are you in S'toon as well?

Erin

Not yet. I am still in Calgary, but we're moving to Osler this summer, and we will be there until we finish building our new house in Warman. DH grew up there.
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

Cool. My parents and brother are in Calgary.

That's going to be quite a change from Calgary.

Erin

No kidding! If we weren't so close to a city, I would be freaking out! We were looking as far as Waldheim to build, but I am so glad that we found our lot in Warman! Ryan's family lives less that a 1 minute walk away, so that will be weird at first! But I am looking forward to the move.
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

My IL's are 5 min walk away. It does take some getting used to but it is nice when the kids are old enought to want the "freedom" to walk to Grandma's by them selves.

I am looking forward to that, but it'll just be strange cause we've lived 6 hours away from them since I met them. I just hope I still like them after all the "togetherness" LOL. I know I will I have gone on many vacations for 2 weeks +, and we get along great. I am just really looking forward to Jenna being able to have a healthy relationship with her grandparents close by!
    Amanda- CRST & Mom
    J-08/01/05 & M-09/14/08

Hi there,
    I was JUST talking to my fiance today about wanting to take the CRST course, and though I come on this website pretty often now, I hadn't noticed there was a canadian section to the Car Seat forum. Anyways, I was curious, where did you find the information about it, and where do you sign up, how much did it cost, etc? Sorry about all the questions, I just had no idea there was someone I could ask about it! And someone from Regina no less. I'm in Weyburn, we just moved here a few months ago, so I have no clue about where to ask. Thanks so much!