Question 5# Onboard 35 for Preemie?

hrice

I bought an Onboard 35 for a friend who has now delivered at 30 weeks. Obviously he's tiny. I am afraid he won't weigh 5# when he's released to come home. Is it an absolute no no if he's 1/2 a pound or so under the weight limit?

ADS

stephie1012

i thought all of the new onboards were rated for 4lbs now? or am i making that up lol i know a tiny babe will fit perfectly tho when he does meet the minimum.

Evolily

It would be a parental decision to use it while he's under the weight limit, assuming he fits properly. If he doesn't otherwise fit according to the rules in the manual (usually straps at or below shoulders, etc), and especially if you can't get the straps tight enough, it would be a definite no.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I thought they are all 4 pounds now, unless you got an older model somewhere that's 5? (in which case, nothing about the seat is different except for the label on the side :cool::whistle:) And the preemie pads are absolutely stupendous for wee ones, it's really one of the best choices for tiny babies.

PS, now that I read your title, you obviously know what the bottom weight limit is. D'oh!!!! Still, yeah, I wouldn't fret at all, babies that small really don't ramp up/out of seats, and if baby passes the carseat challenge, that's what matters.

hrice

I snagged one of the $49.99 ones from SF online.

Phew...I was starting to worry that I needed to get a different one.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You need to ask the parents if they are comfortable using the seat outside its stated limits. It *is* an absolute no-no according to the law and the manual. Some people may choose to use it anyhow.

hrice

You need to ask the parents if they are comfortable using the seat outside its stated limits. It *is* an absolute no-no according to the law and the manual. Some people may choose to use it anyhow.

I am letting her know and letting her make the choice. I just wanted to be sure it was ok.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
We can't tell you it's okay. It's not okay. We can tell you why some of us might make the decision to do something that's not officially okay, but we can't tell you (to tell her) that it's okay.

kittykate

Even if the parents are ok with it, you need to check the hospital policies, too. When my son left the NICU they required a car seat test on the unit and had a tech install in the parent's vehicle to insure proper angle and teach about car seat safety with preemies. My son was just shy of 5 lbs and the tech (reasonably) would not sign off that she had installed and approved safe usage of our Embrace that my son did not meet the min weigh requirement on. He ended up going home in a Graco Assura as it had no min. weight.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I wouldn't worry about for now. Let baby get situated in NICU, and see how big babe is to begin with. My nephew was 4lb 9oz? at birth at 32 weeks. He went home 5 weeks later at over 6 pounds. Babe will probably be in NICU for quite some time, so as long as he does well, and starts eating well, he should be over 5 pounds when he gets discharged. How heavy is he now?

hrice

We can't tell you it's okay. It's not okay. We can tell you why some of us might make the decision to do something that's not officially okay, but we can't tell you (to tell her) that it's okay.

Gotcha. I'll assess when the time comes. He's in the NICU for a good 6 weeks. Another friend and I went in on the seat. She has a Keyfit we can loan if we have to.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC