balance bike for 4yo?

Hollyob

Hi, I am looking to get a balance bike for DS2, who will be 4 in June. He's about 36" and 35lbs. He has mild cerebral palsy, and I think this will be a great tool for him, and fun. He wears AFOs, and his problems are mainly pronation, weaker legs and core, and some balance issues. I know I need to get a lightweight bike, but does anyone have any other advice?

TIA!

ADS

Dillipop

We have a strider for my 4.5 year old. It is really lightweight. My ds is about 41 inches and 38 pounds and we just switched out the seat it came with to the taller seat. The seat it comes with goes really low, so even toddlers can fit, and then goes to a decent height for bigger kids. The handlebars are also adjustable to get the right fit.

Hollyob

Thank you! One more question - do your kids use the footrest? Do you think a footrest is necessary? (ok, I guess that's 2 questions). I ask b/c I don't think DS could use the Strider footrest. Between the AFOs and his clunky shoes, I don't think he could get his feet up there. A bike with a footrest that hangs down would be better for him (which limits my options), although I could see that getting in the way of his feet when he's running it. What do you think?

Hollyob

After looking some more, I'm pretty sure we'll be getting the mini-glider. I think the foot pegs will work better for DS than the Kazam footrest, plus it's light. If anyone thinks this is a *bad* idea, please let me know. Thanks!

zoecoltsmama

when we got our son his bal bike I found a web sight called balance bike review to be helpful, they had a spread sheet type thing to compare and such. I have a friend who has a son with cerebral palsy and he has a "wishbone". seems to work well for him. we have the early rider and love it, but i wonder if it's heavy than you want, don't think you need foot rests at all personally, seems like the strider would be small for him, since it fits my son well and he is 22 months, 32" tall, it matters where the handle bar is too, not just the seat, balancing will be easier if the handlebars are not to low.

Nisha

We have a strider and LOVE it! DS just turned 4 in Feb, and has been using it since he was just over 3. After using it for 2 months, he was riding a 'big bike' and refused to even try the training wheels - he just took off!
But he still has a lot of fun on the strider, and we use it with my daycare kids who are 2 1/2 and almost 4 as well.

We don't have the footrest so can't help you with that part. But love the strider, it's very light weight but well made. I actually drove over it one night, and though it would just have to go in the trash, but one new wheel from strider, and we were good to go again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC