i confiscated my 1st car seat today!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The infant seat must be installed with a locked seatbelt or locking clip. It is not safe to use without a locking seatbelt or locking clip.

It's not legal to put an "almost 30 pound" child in a Cosco backless booster.

Was there no locking clip on the base of the seat or on the Touriva?

You are doing solo checks without adequate supplies?

SignCuer

Yeah was wondering about the same as chickabiddy...

Plus are you a tech? It's kinda sticky..

However glad you helped them! :thumbsup:

twinsmom

Maybe I'm misunderstanding about the old scenera - a child was riding in a broken, vomit-covered seat?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm concerned about this, too.

I know you're trying to help, but by putting kids in seats they don't meet the minimums for/installing improperly (unless I misunderstood about the locking clips), you have transferred liability from her to yourself.

It sounds like all of the children are still riding in inappropriate and/or improperly installed seats.

christineka

I'm confused too. This car is old enough to need locking clips and has three shoulder belts? There should be a lap-only belt somewhere with a locking latchplate.

lovemybabies924

she was just riding a mile down the road and im going over there this morning w/my natui, scenera, and cco to fix it all, since she has to go to the dr today (she forgot)..but trust me they are better how i put them then how they were sideways in the car! she claimed her DD was 31lbs..but she felt lighter to me..i should have clarified!

its an old suv w/a third row

im not a tech..just a friend helping a friend who asked me cuz she knew her seats were all wrong but just had surgery so i couldnt have her get in there to show her how to use a locking clip...

but if she wants to keep her LO in the graco snugride for now should i just install the base w/locking clip or the seat w/the locking clip? not sure what is favorable in a seat that u dont know the history on..but if she still wants to use it, its her choice.... thank goodness i just found another locking clip!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, install the base with a locking clip or a lap belt.

Please find a tech in your area that you can get her in touch with.

Last edited by a moderator:

lovemybabies924

Yes, install the base with a licking clip or a lap belt.

Please find a tech in your area that you can get her in touch with.

i told her about it and she kinda did that smile like "ok but im not gonna"...

are there ones that will come to her house so they can show her how to install all the new seats i bought her? shes out here in sumas...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
lovemybabies924 said:
i told her about it and she kinda did that smile like "ok but im not gonna"...

are there ones that will come to her house so they can show her how to install all the new seats i bought her? shes out here in sumas...

Probably not. I do private checks at people's houses, and some other techs from this board do, but most that you'll find are with agencies who do checks as part of their job at designated locations. Have you checked the list here to see if there's anyone nearby?

lovemybabies924

Probably not. I do private checks at people's houses, and some other techs from this board do, but most that you'll find are with agencies who do checks as part of their job at designated locations. Have you checked the list here to see if there's anyone nearby?

they are all at least 30miles away. but maybe if i went w/my car as well and she went with her car she would be more comfortable if im there to help her with her kids (she dosnt have help with them much at all)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
If they're from this board, send them a PM explaining the situation and see if they'll be willing to come out to you.

lovemybabies924

The infant seat must be installed with a locked seatbelt or locking clip. It is not safe to use without a locking seatbelt or locking clip.

It's not legal to put an "almost 30 pound" child in a Cosco backless booster.

Was there no locking clip on the base of the seat or on the Touriva?

You are doing solo checks without adequate supplies?

thanks i looked up the manual! :thumbsup: i had no idea and had my own kids w/just the seatbelt ALL THE TIME cuz someone showed me back when i was 18 and the manual isnt very clear on it..ugggg it shows the locking clip but dosnt say anything about putting it on...refer to page "xx" for tightening seat belt...they really should have it right there..when i was 18 i thought i didnt need the manual :eek: now i love them haha

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If you are not a tech you should not be installing other people's seats at all, or supplying them with new seats. Whether you are a tech or not, you should not be putting kids in seats that don't fit and that are installed dangerously incorrectly. You need to fix those seats or find someone who can.

If seatbelts don't lock you need a locking clip, whether it's an infant seat with base, an infant seat without base, a convertible seat, or a combination seat. Is it a pre-1996 vehicle?

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC