Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Sedona minivan - belts forward of crease

We are looking at a Kia Sedona; unfortunately, the 3rd row seats all have belts forward of the crease. Our 4 yr old will be ok in his booster with these belts, but I'm worried about the 2 yr old in the forward facing convertible (Century) and the baby in the rear-facing infant seat (Graco SnugRide).

The Sedona owner's manual says all the rear seats are fine for car seats, but I don't really trust it.

We can LATCH the Graco snugride and get a new convertible seat that will also LATCH in the middle row, but we'd like the option of using the 3rd row seats for future kids.

I think that the Odyssey has similar belts in the 3rd row.

Thank you very much!
    Theresa

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Have you tried installing your seats in a van on the dealer's lot? Actually trying out the seatbelt system in that 3rd row might give you a better idea of whether or not they are compatible with the seats you do have.
    YES I am a certified CPS Technician...Internet advice is never the same as having someone actually look at your seats, your kids, and your car. Have your seats CHECKED by a Technician.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar
    You will need to look at the manual for your car seat. Some manuals specifically prohibit installation with belts front of the bight, while others allow it in certain situations (e.g., if the belt is only X distance from the crack, or if there is a lap-shoulder belt). If the vehicle and seat manuals both allow the installation, then you will just need to make sure the seats actually fit well before you decide.

Finally, if the seats you own do not fit, chances are another seat will. Britax seats fit well in my Saturn, which has belts front of the bight, for example.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!