Question Would you FF because it's hot?

baby1577

A good friend of mine asked me today if I would help her turn her car seats forward facing. :eek: <---- This was me, because he's not yet 18mo, not a huge guy (def not outgrown his seats), and this friend of mine has been posting importance of ERF videos on fb for months.

Anyway....boils down to....."he's too hot". It's 90 here today and will get to 100s this summer. They were out for ten minutes today and he was "sweating and flushed". They drive "not so great" cars and the AC doesn't work well enough, but it is working.

What would you do? :eek:

ADS

hrice

Keep him RF. Roll down the windows for air flow and get a cover to lay over the seat when it's unoccupied to keep it cool.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Can they get the A/C fixed? It may be low in the cooling fluid or have a leak.

If they don't have vents in the rear of the vehicle, then move child outboard (so seat doesn't block air flow to the rear seats between the front seats) and point the vents up toward ceiling so cool air can bounce back down.

DaniChildcare

the A/C may just need to be charged (there's some technical term here that i'm missing, but i had to have it done to mine last summer) and my A/C worked like new after i had it done :thumbsup: (it cost me about $50.00 to have it done)

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Get a redneck air conditioner? LOL

When the AC broke in our old van a couple years back, I bought 3 small box fans, a roll of heavy elastic and a power inverter. The fans were attached to the back of the front seat headrests where the RF seats were and turned them on to blow air to the back of the van to the big girls LOL

But NO I wouldn't turn them because of the heat...open the windows!

Aurezalia

At that age? No, absolutely not.
I live in Southern AZ and have V RF'ing in a RN behind my seat. It gets HOT during the summer. I point the air vents up at the ceiling so the air bounces back to him. I have a crap A/C but we've never had a problem.

Reactions: Mae

vonfirmath

Only if my kid was getting heat stroke and having to go to the hospital because of it (and I'd done everything I could to alleviate it)

mish

I wouldn't FF just because it's hot, but my best guess is your friend is going to do it anyway. She's probably just sick of RF and this is her excuse. If she knows all about how it's safer nothing you say will change her mind. I would try to give her some tips and if it doesn't work let it go. Make sure she installs it right and uses the tether if she insists on FF.

Reactions: Mae

Melanie

Nope, I wouldn't and haven't. I'm in Phoenix. I used to keep a small water bottle with me (in my bag not the car). Give the kids a spray when you put them in and it will keep them cool-ish until the A/C kicks in. Something cool to hold onto helps. A wet or frozen washcloth works. If the buckles are scorching I'll stick a mini blue ice on them for a second. Cover the car seats with a towel when parked.

myliljunebugs

I've done everything the PP's mentioned and kept DD RF'ing off and on for 5 years (3 years, then bought a new seat at age 4 and RF'd to it's limits too). I've never had great A/C in my vehicles but pointing the vents at the cieling helped a lot.

Kaede's_Mom

Nope I wouldn't.

I have driven many cars with no A/C in 100+ heat. Roll down the windows or if the ac does work then point them straight back along the doors. DD has RF'ed in two of my non ac cars and did just fine with a little extra water and when not in use a giant thick beach towel is used to keep the sun off the seat.

Pixels

DD gets better air flow rear facing in the center with the windows open than I do. The way the air circulates, it blows straight into her face.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC