Convertible or Combination...

Baylor

40.5 pounds in t-shirt and underwear
41 inches tall
14 inch torso...

But those are DS2 stats..

Is there a convertible that he would fit in now, One of the Britax or another seat that I could get for him? He sprouted up and lost about 2 lbs lately.. So he seems to be evening out in growth pattern.

Before I take the leap to FR 85, I was wondering if there is a spare seat I could get him first that I could try out and install and play with.
No dorel seats for me.

Thanks!

ETA: The reason I am asking is that some of the Britax seats have no Harness info in the car seat guide here... So I can not see for myself. I was wondering about the first years true fit too. It looks really comfy..

Last edited:
ADS

firemomof3

As far as convertible seats you could try the Complete Air, Radian or True Fit. He might fit into a Britax 70 but I'm not sure. I can try my son in our Blvd70 when he gets home from preschool. As for other seats besides the GN or Frontier you can try the ProSport, Maestro, Smart Seat or Unite

hrice

He could RF for a few #s in a Radian 80SL or XTSL :thumbsup:

Just go no shoes in the car.

Otherwise I'd get a Frontier 85.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The only seat he could RF in is the Radian. I wouldn't buy a convertible if you can't RF. I would go with a combo seat.

Stefanie, cpst in iowa - mom to 4 great kids

Baylor

IT is not really about what I need ;) but things I want to try before I have NO use for them. I don't mind not using it RFing.

I thought about a RadianXT.. But I am not sure of the SL and I don't know if I would be comfortable with it.

I just want to see my options for trying seats to get some hands on time.

hrice

IT is not really about what I need ;) but things I want to try before I have NO use for them.

I totally want a Coccoro for this reason. I am afraid Peyton may have already outgrown it RF though and I can't try it in stores here.

The XTSL will RF your 3 year old for a couple of pounds and harness him for a good while. If you are not concerned about long term then go for it :thumbsup:

hrice

Not trying to RF. I mean if I get the Radian, I would try it, I am all about trying it out but I am just looking for convertibles he could fit in presently. FF is fine.

Skip Britax. Get a Radian, True Fit or Safety First Complete Air 65. The Radian is the only one that you would be able to RF him in though.

Baylor

Safety Air is Dorel, Right? I don't want that..

Do you not like Britax? is there a reason not to? Because I see some of their Convertibles ff to 70 lbs.. I can not find Harness height info though.

Baylor

With a 14-inch torso he will likely fit FF in just about any seat with a weight limit higher than 40 lbs.

I hope I measured right.. Against he wall crossed legged, right?

Thanks. That is what I really needed to know. That will help me. Last night I was talking to Dh about it and he just held up his hand and said.." Whatever you want to do. " gotta love him. Although when I mentioned the MT that might be available he said. " UH, I don't think so.." :(

ETA: Do you think I could get the proper recline for DS Rfing in a 01 Grand Caravan by myself? I have read posts about people struggling with that.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, remember that torso heights are difficult to accurately measure, plus there's the whole mysterious stuff that happens once you actually install seats.

But if your 14" measurement is generally correct, you'd probably be ok.

Like, the Britax convertibles are about 17" I think. You won't really get that much room, but a 14"-torso kid should still fit. For how long? No idea.

If you just want an excuse to buy or play with seats, then like I said, pretty much any high-weight convertible will work.

As far as being practical, probably the only ones I'd even consider are the Radians. Maybe TrueFit.

The Britaxes tend to be more reclined (the classics, at least) and don't last nearly as long.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider a convertible for FF unless I already had it.

Baylor

Thanks for your opinion and information. I really appreciate it! I want another seat anyway for a spare so I figure I might as well play while I am getting one.

Mom2FiveGirls

I hope I measured right.. Against he wall crossed legged, right?

Thanks. That is what I really needed to know. That will help me. Last night I was talking to Dh about it and he just held up his hand and said.." Whatever you want to do. " gotta love him. Although when I mentioned the MT that might be available he said. " UH, I don't think so.." :(

ETA: Do you think I could get the proper recline for DS Rfing in a 01 Grand Caravan by myself? I have read posts about people struggling with that.

I have an 07 grand caravan and the radian installed very easily RFing in the captains chair. I'm not sure if the seats in the 01 are the same/similar though.

SignCuer

Radians are really easy to get in Dodge Caravans!! :thumbsup:

My suggestion: if you don't mind for a seat to play with, get the Radian. You would be able to RF him and he might won't gain anything for a good while since he's stretching out :D

If not, get a combo.

Baylor

Radians are really easy to get in Dodge Caravans!! :thumbsup:

My suggestion: if you don't mind for a seat to play with, get the Radian. You would be able to RF him and he might won't gain anything for a good while since he's stretching out :D

If not, get a combo.

This is where I am leaning. I think it makes most sense. I was going to get Radian a while back but he got up to 43 lbs and it was not worth it.

I am going through all the models now.. and not sure I understand the 45RF limit. I know the XTSL has a 45lb limit.. But do other models too?

I know the Car seat comparison forum says after a certain date but Amazon still has 40rf limit.

Baylor

I went to BRU to see if they had one but they don't. I really want to try it before I buy it..

Does anyone know who cares them in stock to try?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC