Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Booster weight limits

How set in stone are weight limits for backless booster seats? I will be taking care of a 9 year old next week and I am concerned about him fitting properly in the seat belts in my van, especially if he sits in the 3rd row of my Odyssey. I don't think he's been in a seat for a few years and his mom lets him sit in the front seat ( which won't happen in my van) but I want to make sure he's safe. The problem is that he weighs about 120 lbs, over the weight limit for most boosters. Would it be okay for him to use a backless booster even if he's a little too heavy? If so, what kind? I can't afford to spend much.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Booster weight limits

In that case I'd make the decision to go over the weight limit. His bones still aren't adult strength and need help.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

What kind would you recommend? He's kind of chubby so I need to make sure it is wide enough. Which is best: The Amp, LiteRider, or backless Turbo?
    He's not going to like having to use a booster!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

I sat in a Harmony Cruz today. The Lite Rider was less comfortable for me. I don't think I can fit in an Amp or Turbo.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

6. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

I can't find a Cruz in any of my local stores (I looked online) so I will probably go with the LiteRider. I'll try a few out in store and see what would work.