OT: Childhood games

Simplysomething

So, I wanted to be all nosey and have a thread about games you played when you were kids. Not video games, or board games...but game games. Tag, Hide n' Seek...Red Light Green Light..etc.

What were your favorite group games when you were a kid?

ADS

LuvBug

gosh, it wasnt all that long ago but its hard to remember them all(some of these we even played in class in high school! the teachers would somehow mix learning in with them). Including yours I remember
Sardines(form of hide n seek)
Freeze Tag
Red Rover
Capture the Flag
Simon Says
Mother May I
Jump Rope games
Duck Duck Goose
Heads Up Seven Up
Musical Chairs
Hot Potato
Assassin
gosh I know there are more but I cant remember a name or how exactly it was played...

We also plaid a lot of them in the dark to make them more fun, like hide n seek, tag, and capture the flag.

(Obviously I was a bored child who got no exercise :p lol!)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
LOL -- just thinking about the fact that I don't even remember any, but I know we played them.... Was about to Google childhood games, LOL -- glad you started this thread :p

cpsaddict

I went to Catholic school for 1-2 grade and the nuns made us play these games out in front of the school, away from the older grades. Funny thing was, we were like 15ft from the ROAD! :D Anyway, we had to play Mother May I and Red Light, Green Light, but Red Rover was too dangerous!
My sisters and I also played tag in the dark. Also, we made this up, but when were outside in the dark, if a car came by(we are very rural) we had to dive in the bushes so they didn't see us. Ahhh, good times!

:D

amy919

Most of them have alrady been mentioned, but I remember playing:

Red Rover
Red Light Green Light
Freeze Tag
Mother May I
Duck Duck Goose
Hot Potato
Chinese Jump Ropes were HUGE

The 2 really big ones that were played the most were:

Wall Ball
Wire Ball

I think the last 2 were Northeast Philly things, though. I'm anxious to see if anyone knows of them. When we moved to the suburbs and my brother or I would suggest a game of wall ball or wire ball, they'd look at us like we were crazy. And we only moved like 15 miles away! I guess it was a city thing.

Amy

Last edited:

Yoshi

I remember a few games of kick the can (which I thought was stupid) and regular old hide-and-seek and flashlight tag.

But the absolute best games were ones my neighbors and I made up based on TV shows and movies. We'd play "Planet of the Apes" and "Gilligans Island" outside. We also set up a pretend hospital on lawn chairs and cots on our big front porch. We'd bandage everyone up like mummies! We had such great imaginations.

TheRealMacGyver

We played all the usual mentioned. Hide and seek was best at night in the summertime using flashlights. Someone would always find a really good hideout, then after we couldn't find them we'd have to change the rules. "Okay that spot is off limits". haha In the pool, we'd play Marco Polo, chicken fights, see who could hold their breath the longest, stuff like that. We used to play/explore in different woods or at a local creek. We'd always try to make it further than we had in the past into unchartered territory. As we got older the games took on more of a risk factor. You know things like ring and run, stuff like that. In the winter, my favorite thing was bumper hitching. I know totally dangerous, but man I could tell you some stories about that. The worst part was when you hit a pothole! One time I hit a pothole took a dive, as I looked up to watch the car driving away, my brand new glove was still stuck to the bumper! I looked at every bumper for weeks looking for that glove.

cpsaddict

We played wall ball in elementary school! Tetherball is big, too. At home, we used to play the biggest game of house you have ever seen. My mom got so mad because we hauled out all of her "real" house stuff. When I was about 8-9, someone "donated" a playhouse to us. That thing was cool. At school, we also did double dutch with jumpropes. I am so uncoordinated, but I managed to do that pretty well. For awhile, four square was cool.
In the pool, we played "dance", we pretended were were realy cool dancers! We were quite creative sometimes! :D

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
But the absolute best games were ones my neighbors and I made up based on TV shows and movies. We'd play "Planet of the Apes" and "Gilligans Island" outside. We also set up a pretend hospital on lawn chairs and cots on our big front porch. We'd bandage everyone up like mummies! We had such great imaginations.

TOo funny! That's the kind of stuff I remember most, too -- & the kind of think Leila is most into as well....

THe only "real" game I can think was like Red Light/Green Light, but about weather instead?

solmama

Okay, this is a stretch...we played, Ghost in the Graveyard, kick the can, capture the flag, tag, hide-n-seek tag, cowboys and indians (and I'm indian, ugh!), freeze tag, everybody's it tag, fishy fishy come swim in my ocean, have you seen my cat?, and so many more I'm sure I can't recall. Too bad we have to grow up, but we almost always played these games at night, either completely clothed (pants, long sleeve shirt) or slathered in bug spray. I must say, I don't miss getting eaten alive:). Have an absolutely fabulous weekend! I must work, so play a little for me.

Lara

Yeah, those usual ones.
Red light green light
mother may I
hide n' seek
marco polo (I STILL love playing marco polo :D )
tag
house, doctor, vet, school (my best friend and I taught our 4 y/o neighbor how to do mulitplication! lol), things of that nature
raking leaves in a pile and jumping in them! Ok, not really a game, but really fun still!
we'd have swimming races (whoever could get to the far side of the pool and back first won!)
pretty much anything in the water, I always spent my summers in the pool :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC