Installing XTSL with seatbelt help

coleslawcat

I have an 08 Sienna and the superLATCH keeps loosening. I'm trying to install the seat FF in a captain's chair in my Sienna using the seatbelt and I can't figure it out. I pull out the seat belt all the way. Slide it through the FF belt path. Buckle it. Put weight into the seat as I pull it tight and let the belt retract. Every time I do this it seems solid at first but it doesn't stay that way. I read the instruction manual and it says nothing about using lock-offs. I'm confused. Do I need a lock-off? How do you use those? I've installed a Keyfit and Recaro Como with a seat belt with no problems, but other than that I've only done LATCH installs.

ADS

Aurezalia

I think so. I'm pulling it out as far as I can. Maybe I don't know how to lock a seat belt, how do you do that?

Most cars have what's called a switchable retractor. That's where you pull the belt out all the way, slowly so you don't engage the ELR, and when you start feeding it back in you can't pull anymore of the seatbelt out. In many cars once you pull the belt out all the way and the locking mechanism has engaged, you can hear a "clicking" sound as you feed in back in, which can be something to listen for to know it's locked.

Aurezalia

I think that's what I've been doing. I'll go try again and listen for the click.

Great! Once you're sure you know how to lock the seatbelt, I suggest re-watching the video I put in your other thread.
The basic steps to follow are:
Run seatbelt through beltpath. Buckle it. Lock the belt and let the excess belt feed back into the retractor. Now, pull open the cover (You can see there's velcro strips sort of near the bottom of the seat on either side) and grab the shoulder belt. Put your knee into the seat and lean into it, putting your body weight on the seat. This helps compress the vehicle seat cushion. Now, pull the shoulder belt up and DO NOT let go right away! With your other hand, grab the excess slack and make sure you feed it back into the retractor so it's "grabbed" and won't loosen again right away. Continue to do so until the seat moves 1" or less.
Watch my video and you can see me doing each of these steps. :)

coleslawcat

Ok, I thought I had it, then I realized I had the tether strap stuck behind the seat so I had to undo the install to get it out. I couldn't get it again after that. I did the exact same thing and when I pulled up on the side near the buckle, the seat came loose. I know I heard the retracting belt click too. I gave up for tonight and moved the Marathon over from my husband's car to use tomorrow.

coleslawcat

OK, I took a few hours off and went back out to the van and tried again. It worked just fine this time. My wrists are a little scraped up from the nasty velcro, but the seat is solidly in there. Thanks for helping me with this. I'm not sure what I was doing differently that made it work, but stepping away for a bit and letting the frustration go was all I needed to get it right.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC