Dogs in the car

ConnorsMommy

My in-laws have 2 chubby dachshunds that they like to take everywhere with them, including when my son is with them. I recently watched the crash test videos about what happens to an unrestrained dog in a collision and I worry about the safety of my son, my in-laws, and the dogs. They let the dogs ride on their laps in the front seat, even while driving, and it scares me. If the airbag goes off, those dogs have no chance. I do not want to make them mad at me. I recently sent some info about dog car safety to my FIL but he still has the dogs unrestrained and hasn't said anything about the information. My questions for you are:

If the dogs are unrestrained in the front seat, does it put my son at risk if he is in his car seat in the back? If so, do you have any studies/videos to back that up?

Can you please give me facts/statistics/reasons why the dogs should be restrained?

I was thinking about just buying the harnesses for the dogs. That way I can avoid confrontation, but at the same time keep everyone in the vehicle safe. What do you recommend? I can't afford an expensive one since I will need to buy 2(I'd prefer to keep it around $50 for both)

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Anything loose in the car can become a projectile in a crash. Granted, dogs in the front will likely move forward, not backward, in most crashes, but there are rollovers and whatnot.

Are the dog's sitting on the driver's lap? If so, that can lead to a distracted driver, and can also impair the driver's line of vision and range of motion. That, IMO, is the bigger issue. I wouldn't allow my child to ride in a car being driven by a person with a dog on his/her lap.

ConnorsMommy

Are the dog's sitting on the driver's lap? If so, that can lead to a distracted driver, and can also impair the driver's line of vision and range of motion. That, IMO, is the bigger issue. I wouldn't allow my child to ride in a car being driven by a person with a dog on his/her lap.

^^^This is what bothers me the most too. When they have the dogs on their lap while driving, the dog doesn't just lay down and fall asleep. I do worry that the dogs will distract them and cause them to crash.
The thing that frustrates me is that they always make sure my son is properly buckled in his seat. I install the seat every time so it is in correctly. They have never made an issue about our car safety choices (ERF, EH, etc) for our son (and were grateful for them when my son and I were in an accident and were fine). They love their little dogs so much, but don't think about the fact that their choices with their dogs are putting them and my son in danger. I'm trying to figure out a way to bring up this issue without causing a fight. My husband isn't as concerned about this as I am so he isn't much help. Any suggestions?
Any links with more info about this?

afdani1984

Maybe let them know that in most states, having a loose animal in the car is illegal and akin to talking on your cell phone/texting/ect while driving. Also if they love their dogs that much they should consider their safety. I know this discussion came up recently on here and there was some info about kennelled in the footwell of the car is the safest place for a pet.

I have this product for my small dog, and it works really well.

http://www.fidorido.com/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC